The International Rescue Committee started activities in Niger in June 2013, responding to the Malian refugee crisis in the Tezalit department in Tahoua region. Since then the IRC has expanded programs to address the evolving needs of vulnerable populations first in the protection, WASH, health, nutrition, emergency and economic recovery and development sectors. Since then, it has expanded to education, rapid response mechanisms and migration sectors in the regions affected by armed conflicts and natural disasters, in Tahoua, Tillabéri (since 2013), Diffa (since 2015) and Agadez (since 2017) regions.
Responding to increasing insecurity and ongoing displacement in Burkina Faso, in April 2019, IRC launched an emergency response with WASH programming in Djibo Commune, Sahel Region. As a result of the escalating crisis and unmet humanitarian need, the IRC is expanding its response to support particularly underserved populations and is establishing a country program.
IRC is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the implementation of the expected USAID funded Youth Connect activity. The 5-year project aims to equip vulnerable young women and men with technical and life skills, networks, and capital for increased strategic economic opportunities in the Tillaberi Region of Niger and potentially in Maradi, Zinder and Diffa and in the Sahel, Est, and Centre-Nord regions of Burkina Faso, security permitting. The DCOP will be responsible for supporting the Chief of Party (COP) in management of staff, capacity building and stakeholder engagement. Coordinate the development, implementation and reporting on detailed management plans that may include implementation plans, deliverable tracking, etc., in assigned area of responsibility. Manage implementing partners and oversee operations. This position is contingent on the IRC being awarded funding and is anticipated to begin in 2020.
- Support the COP in providing strategic and technical leadership and direction, defining and implementing activities to achieve the greatest impact toward project goals and objectives; serve as Acting COP in COP’s absence;
- Provide financial and operational management that optimizes resources through sound budgets, consistent financial tracking, and timely submission of reports to the donor.
- Ensure project delivery meets all standard operational policies and procedures;
- Manage consortium partnerships and maintain collaborative partner relations;
- Support reporting to USAID through both formal and informal debriefings, annual and semi-annual reports;
- Assist COP in maintaining active and cooperative relationships with all key stakeholders, including government officials, project partners, other implementing agencies, and related institutions;
- Represent the project and the organization in public, as assigned, and support the distribution of information about project achievements and lesson learned;
- Support project staff by creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes teamwork, trust, mutual respect, and empowers staff to take responsibility.
- Advanced degree (PhD or MA) from an accredited university in social sciences, international development, or related field; equivalent experience may be substituted for graduate degree;
- At least seven years of experience in managerial roles on similar programs in developing countries, including substantial supervisory experience. Experience with projects focused on economic recovery and youth development.
- Significant previous experience managing operations for similar programming in conflict or crisis situations;
- Experience working in the Sahel and/or Niger and Burkina Faso required.
- Previous experience as DCOP of USAID-funded programs preferred;
- Substantial experience managing subgrantees required;
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to develop relations with local counterparts, donors, and other stakeholders;
- Demonstrated innovation and success in staff capacity-building and in participatory, flexible, and gender-sensitive programming and implementation;
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written;
- Fluency in English required; proficiency in French strongly preferred.