→ Apply before 17/11/2023 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels Time)
→ Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
→ Department: BW26 – Data-analyse en wiskundige modellering
→ Occupancy rate:100%
→ Number of positions: 1
→ Type of employment: Contract of limited duration
→ Term of assignment: 6 maanden
→ Wage scale: PD1 to PD4 (doctoral degree)
→ Required diploma: PhD
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With its 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programs grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students.
You will work on a research project to develop machine learning methods to detect illegal timber trade through automatic detection of species and origin. The goal in this project is to develop data analysis pipelines based on World Forest data. The function requires high expertise in machine learning, geospatial modeling and the ability to clearly communicate the scientific aspect of World Forest ID to stakeholders.
Your specific tasks include:
- State-of-the-art data analysis for biological applications
- Developing specific algorithms that enable species detection and origin determination of wood species
- Literature study into new techniques that may be relevant to the project
- Supervising master students
- Supervising doctoral students
- Writing scientific publications
- You report and communicate with the various stakeholders in the project.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- You have a PhD degree in bio-science engineering, informatics, data analysis, or similar
- You have good knowledge of machine learning models
- You have experience with modelling software such as Python
- You have interests in detecting illegal timber trade
- You have good knowledge of machine learning and data analysis techniques.
- You are a quick learner and are able to conduct independent research
- You are fluent in English, both speaking and writing
- You are motivated and dedicated
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a contract of of definite duration for 6 months..
- Your contract will start on 1/12/2023 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale WM1 to WM4 (if you hold a Master’s degree) or salary scale PD1 to PD4 (if you hold a doctorate). Click here for more information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, bicycle allowance and eco vouchers. Click here for a complete overview of all the staff benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not submitted through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘CV’: your CV and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign Diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field “other documents”: a reference letter, an overview of your study results, …
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Willem Waegeman ( Willem.Waegeman@UGent.be , +32 (0)9/264.92.00 ). Important: do NOT send your application by email, but apply online.
Do you have a question regarding the online application process? Please read our FAQ or contact helpdesk (email@example.com – tel. 09/264 98 98).