The group of Prof. Daniel Baumann at the Institute of Physics (University of Amsterdam) invites applications for several postdoctoral positions starting in the fall of 2024. The positions are financed by the ERC Synergy Grant project “UNIVERSE+: Positive Geometry in Particle Physics and Cosmology”. The principal investigators are Nima Arkani-Hamed (Princeton), Daniel Baumann (Amsterdam), Johannes Henn (Munich) and Bernd Sturmfels (Leipzig). The team aims to create a new mathematical language to describe physical phenomena at all scales, from the interactions of elementary particles to the large-scale structure of the Universe. For more information, see https://www.positive-geometry.com
What are you going to do?
While the advertised positions are at the University of Amsterdam, the hired researchers will be part of the larger UNIVERSE+ team. We encourage and facilitate regular exchanges between the participating host institutions. Given the cross-disciplinary nature of the research, we are particularly interested in candidates that can facilitate the exchange of information across the boundaries of the different research areas (particle physics, cosmology and mathematics).
You should have a strong background in theoretical particle physics and/or cosmology.
You are required to:
- have a PhD in physics or related field;
- have a strong background in cosmology, quantum field theory and/or mathematics;
- are able to work independently and to collaborate in a collegial multidisciplinary research environment
We offer a temporary employment contract for 38 hours per week for a period of 36 months (or more for senior postdocs). The preferred starting date is the fall of 2024 (the precise date will be discussed with the successful applicant). The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week and dependent on relevant experience, ranges between € 3,226 to € 5.090 (scale 10) gross per month, based on 38 hours per week This does not include 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% year-end allowance. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Universities of the Netherlands is applicable.
Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment at Science Park we offer you multiple fringe benefits:
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on fulltime) and extra holidays between Christmas and 1 January;
- multiple courses to follow from our Teaching and Learning Centre;
- multiple courses on topics such as leadership for academic staff;
- multiple courses on topics such as time management, handling stress and an online learning platform with 100+ different courses;
- 7 weeks birth leave (partner leave) with 100% salary;
- partly paid parental leave;
- the possibility to set up a workplace at home;
- a pension at ABP for which UvA pays two third part of the contribution;
- the possibility to follow courses to learn Dutch;
- help with housing for a studio or small apartment when you’re moving from abroad.
Are you curious to read more about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits, take a look here.
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via Acadamic Jobs online (Please see application instruction in bold below). We accept applications until and including 17 December 2023.
Applications should include the following information (all files besides your cv should be submitted in one single pdf file):
- a detailed CV including the months (not just years) when referring to your education and work experience;
- a letter of motivation;
- a list of publications;
- the names and email addresses of three references who can provide letters of recommendation.
APPLICATIONS ONLY VIA ACADEMIC JOBS ONLINE USING THIS LINK
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Prof. Daniel Baumann, email@example.com