Last application date Sep 25, 2023 00:00
Department GE38 – Department of Human Structure and Repair
Contract Limited duration
Degree Master’s degree in Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Biotechnology, Bioscience engineering, Pharmaceutical sciences, or equivalent, completed before the start date of the position
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy type Research staff
The current PhD position is available for a highly motivated candidate to work on an EU-funded ERC consolidator grant within the research group of Prof. An Hendrix in close collaboration with the research group of Prof. Bart Lambrecht. The main aim of the PhD project is to address the role of bacterial extracellular vesicles in cancer. Bacterial extracellular vesicles are membrane-enclosed communicative particles released in body fluids (Tulkens et al., Gut, 2020; Hendrix and De Wever, Trends Microbiol, 2022). Knowledge on their origin, fate and function in the human body is required to accelerate their clinical applications but hampered by a plethora of technological pitfalls (Hendrix, Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol, 2021).
You will apply state-of-the-art technologies to analyze the composition of bacterial extracellular vesicles and assess their immunomodulatory function. You will work in very close interaction with partners from Cancer Research Institute Ghent (CRIG, Ghent), Flemish Institute for Biotechnology (VIB, Ghent) as well as (inter)national collaborating teams to enable multidisciplinary investigations.
We offer you:
- A full-time, fixed-term appointment for initially 1 year, yearly renewable after positive evaluation up to 4 years.
- Intended starting date: as soon as possible.
- Participate in an exciting and rapidly evolving new research area within a multidisciplinary environment in EU-funded labs that operate at international level and are equipped with state-of-the-art technologies.
- Become member of an integrated research platform connecting young, dynamic and enthusiastic researchers with great team spirit.
- You hold a Master’s degree in Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Biotechnology, Bioscience engineering, Pharmaceutical sciences, or equivalent, completed before the start date of the PhD position with excellent grades at a recognized university.
- Holding a FELASA B/C degree or equivalent degree accreditation for animal experimentation is a plus.
- You have excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
- You have a keen interest in immune oncology, microbiology and/or extracellular vesicles.
- You are highly motivated and can plan and conduct research accurately.
- You can function well independently as well as in a team.
- You can take initiative and have a hands-on mentality, perseverance and critical mind.
- You are motivated towards applying for future competitive PhD grants (e.g. FWO).
How to apply
If you are interested, please send the necessary documents to prof. dr. An Hendrix (email@example.com) and prof. dr. Bart Lambrecht (firstname.lastname@example.org) by September 25, 2023, 11:59 pm.
Necessary documents (in 1 pdf file, max 10 Mb):
- CV: your CV and an overview of your study results
- Cover letter: your application letter
- A copy of your study results
- Support letters and contact details of two references
- For more information, please contact prof. dr. An Hendrix by e-mail.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.