Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Group of Cellular Biomechanics in our Laboratory Experimental Continuum Mechanics focus on the interface of mechanobiology, mechanics and materials. We are offering a
PostDoc fellowship in the area of bioengineering / mechanobiology
The group aims at identifying key patterns of mechanotransduction enabling the cell adaption to local physical environments, how these may change upon senescence, and whether, based on this knowledge, strategies can be developed to recover specific features of young cells. You will contribute to the group efforts in exploring the effects of fluid flow and mechanical environment on the behavior of cells using in vitro microfluidic devices. You will explore how different types of mechanical factors impact on the control of the homeostasis of endothelial tissues and how such regulation can vary during the process of cellular aging.
For this challenging positions you need
- a PhD degree in Biological Sciences, Bio-engineering or related fields
- experience in using and further developing microdevice instrumentation, e.g., parallel plate flow chambers, microfluidic devices, and in-situ stretching devices
- a solid knowledge of basic cell biology and hands-on experience in biological laboratory, using cell culture, cell imaging, and functional characterization
- self-motivated, critical-thinking, open-minded and communicative, with a strong interest to work in an interdisciplinary research environment
- fluency in English (written and oral) is a pre-condition; knowledge of German is an asset
The successful candidates will have access to state-of-the-art facilities at Empa and ETH Zurich (where the biological laboratory is located, https://ecm.ethz.ch/the-group/people.html). The research work is expected to lead to high level publications and presentations at international conferences. The appointment will be for 1 year, with possible extension.
For further information about the position please contact Dr Costanza Giampietro email@example.com and visit our websites www.empa.ch/web/s306 and Empa-Video
We look forward to receiving your online application including a letter of motivation, CV, diplomas with transcripts and contact details of two referees. Please upload the requested documents through our webpage. Applications via email will not be considered.
Empa, Patricia Nitzsche, Human Resources, Ueberlandstrasse 129, 8600 Dübendorf, Switzerland.