PhD positions in the frame of the PRIDE grant “Active phenomena across scales in biological systems”
(Valid from 11/05/2022 to 13/07/2022)
Language: English (UK)
Organisation data: Department of Physics and Materials Science (DPHYMS)
Job Number: UOL04989
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
Duration 36 Month
Schedule Type: Full Time
Work Hours 40.0 Hours per Week
Job (internal): Doctoral Researcher
Functions: PhD Candidates
The University | About us…
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM) contributes multidisciplinary expertise in the fields of Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Life Sciences and Medicine. Through its dual mission of teaching and research, the FSTM seeks to generate and disseminate knowledge and train new generations of responsible citizens, in order to better understand, explain and advance society and environment we live in.
The successful candidates will be expected to conduct research with the aim of obtaining a Doctorate in either Physics, Biology or Engineering Science. They will also be expected to contribute to the institution’s activities, including seminars, teaching, outreach and various other research related events.
Our consortium offers an outstanding and dynamic environment for doctoral candidates, with multiple seminars, working groups, colloquia, and a doctoral school which also includes access to scientific and transferable skills training opportunities.
What we expect from you…
* Master’s Degree (or equivalent) obtained with top grades in any branch of computer, engineering, mathematical or natural science that has relevance (to be justified in the application) for studying Active Phenomena in Biology. (The degree must be obtained before the beginning of the contract but you can apply before)
* Good command of written and spoken English
* Very strong dedication to do state of the art research
* Contract Type: 36 months fixed-term contract (up to 48 months if required)
* Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
* Starting date: As soon as possible
* Location: Limpertsberg
* Employee and student status
* Job Reference: UOL04989 / R-AGR-3792-00-B PRIDE / DPHYMS
The yearly gross salary for every PhD at the UL is EUR 38.028,96 (full time)
How to apply…
Applications should be submitted online and include:
* CV and letter of motivation
* A track record/list of up to three PhD projects
* Transcript of academic records and copies of degrees
* Names of at least two references who are willing to write a letter of recommendation on the candidate’s behalf
* Any other relevant documents
Applications will be treated as they arrive. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
In return you will get…
* Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
* A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
* A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
* Find out more about the University
* Addresses, maps & routes to the various sites of the University
More details about the Doctoral Training Unit and the projects proposed can be found on https://cls.uni.lu/dtu-phd-projects/
Please read the descriptions carefully in order to identify the one best suited to your profile.
* The positions are funded by the Fonds National de la Recherche Luxembourg (ref. PRIDE19/14063202/ACTIVE)
* Questions should be addressed to the relevant PhD project advisors
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Springer Nature Limited does not accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender’s own and not expressly made on behalf of Springer Nature Ltd or one of their agents.
Please note that Springer Nature Limited and their agents and affiliates do not accept any responsibility for viruses or malware that may be contained in this e-mail or its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and attachments (if any).
Springer Nature Limited. Registered office: The Campus, 4 Crinan Street, London, N1 9XW. Registered Number: 00785998 England.