With its world-class teaching quality, its concentration on R&D, world-renowned professors and students filled with the desire to learn and do research, Koç University offers graduate students a unique experience in this center of excellence.
Koç University is the meeting point for graduate students who wish to improve in their field of higher education or who are ambitious and enthusiastic about scientific knowledge and who want to open new horizons in other fields which interest them.
Our programs are designed to connect the academic and business worlds, to prepare graduate students to become socially responsible world leaders and to offer them various career opportunities.
What can you expect as a graduate student from Koç University?
- Academic and research excellence
- Programs taught in English
- Full scholarships for all our research (with thesis) Master and Ph.D. programs
- An international and lively experience on campus with 25% of graduate students coming from outside Turkey
- Over 200 global partners for graduate exchange opportunities
- Full support for visas and immigration offered by the Office of the International Community (ICO) as well as social and linguistic integration activities
- Research, teaching and professional development programs and activities offered by specialized support teams.
Master with thesis (Master research) and doctorate (doctorate)
The tuition fees for all our master’s programs with thesis and doctorate are 0 Turkish lira (TL), as all programs admit only students benefiting from 100% exemption scholarships.
After submitting your online application to our Master with Thesis (Research Master) or Ph.D. programs, you may be shortlisted for an interview by the evaluation committee.
After the interview, if you are offered admission to the program, you will also automatically receive a scholarship offer.
There are no forms or additional deadlines for applying for a graduate scholarship at Koç University, however, we strongly encourage all doctoral candidates to also submit an application to the Turkish scholarship program so that their monthly allowance and other benefits such as the flight from their home country The origin of Turkey may be covered by the funding of the Turkish scholarship program.
The scholarships for our master’s / master’s thesis programs include:
- 100% tuition scholarship (full exemption from tuition fees for all successful applicants is guaranteed)
- Monthly allowance (allocated on a competitive basis depending on the school or graduate program)
- Accommodation (allocated on a competitive basis depending on school or graduate program)
- Other benefits (granted on a competitive basis depending on the Graduate School or the program)
The scholarships for our doctoral programs include:
- 100% tuition scholarship (full exemption from tuition fees for all successful applicants is guaranteed)
- Monthly allowance (the amount depends on the decision of the evaluation committee of the doctoral school concerned and can vary between 2,000 and 4,000+ Turkish pounds per month)
- Accommodation in apartments for graduates of Koç University located near the campus or a monthly housing allowance
- Health insurance
- Office space
- Laptop (according to needs and according to the decision of the evaluation committee of the doctoral school concerned)
- Travel grants to present at selected conferences or to participate in research activities (awarded on a competitive basis)
For more details on the specific monthly allowance and the additional benefits offered to all admitted doctoral students. and Master with thesis students, please visit the graduate school websites below:
- Higher School of Science and Engineering Financial Aid
- Higher School of Social and Human Sciences Financial Aid
- Financial Sciences School of Health
- Graduate School of Business – limited scholarships available
Master programs without thesis (Masters taught)
The tuition fees for our master’s programs without thesis for the academic year 2019-2020 are 96,500 Turkish pounds (TL) .
These tuition fees cover 1 academic year of two (2) semesters (fall, spring). The first semester is paid at the start of the fall semester upon registration and the second semester is paid at the start of the spring semester. Tuition fees do not cover other costs such as food, dormitory accommodation, books or transportation.
All higher schools offer master programs without a thesis. However, students are generally admitted to the graduate programs of the Graduate School of Business (MBA, EMBA, MSc Finance, MIM) and the Graduate School of Social Sciences and Humanities Masters in Law (LLM) (Public Law / Private Law).
You can see detailed information about these programs below:
- Pre and post-experience programs of the Graduate School of Business (MBA, EMBA, MIM, MSc Finance)
- Master of Laws Programs (LLM)
Please see the Scholarships section of our website to find out if you may be eligible for country specific scholarships or email us to check the eligibility criteria at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strongly encourage all international doctoral candidates to also apply for the Turkish scholarship program. More details here.
Koç University currently offers country-specific graduate scholarships for citizens of the following countries:
How to apply for the Master or Ph.D. programs at Koç University?
To apply for graduate studies at Koç University as an international student, the medjouel.com team informs you that you must complete an online application form.
Please consult the Graduate School website carefully for detailed advice on admission requirements, eligibility, minimum grades and application deadlines and remember:
- Applications with missing documents will not be considered.
- You should not email or post documents to the university.
- There is no need to apply for a separate scholarship. You just need to apply for the program (s) of your choice. Scholarship decisions are based on academic merit and not on financial need.
- You can indicate in your declaration of intent if you are the beneficiary or have applied for a specific scholarship program (based on the country).
- The application process is free . There is no registration fee (except for Master programs without a thesis at the Graduate School of Business)
Checklist for graduate applications
Please read the checklist below carefully to ensure that you submit a solid application and increase your chances of admission. If you have questions about the process or a specific program, please fill out our request form
Be sure to read in detail the admission requirements specific to your program of interest (GPA, eligible undergraduate majors, research experience, GRE and TOEFL minimum grades) on the Graduate School website.
Some programs have an early and regular deadline. Always try to submit your application before the deadline if possible to increase your chances of admission ONLY IF you have all the required standard test scores (GRE / GMAT and TOEFL) ready. Registration deadlines for the fall school year are generally announced on graduate school websites in mid-February. Please note that only the Graduate School of Sciences and Engineering offers a spring competition and that the registration deadlines are announced at the end of October.
The following tips apply mainly to the doctorate. Doctoral candidates in science, engineering, health sciences and business programs: Before submitting an application, we recommend that you independently contact a faculty member of your program of interest and obtain informal comments on your research topic of interest. However, you can still apply without a specific supervisor.
Our Master and Ph.D. programs are very selective in their admission criteria. Only applicants with ALL of the required documents and information are assessed by program faculty members.
Be sure to prepare and submit the following documents and information in your application (depending on the program):
- Declaration of Intent (SoP)
- University transcripts (see specific program website for GPA minimum requirements, if applicable)
- University diploma (s)
- English proficiency test results (only the TOEFL IBT is accepted and with a score of 80 IBT or more, IELTS is not accepted in Turkey)
- GRE or GMAT test results (see specific program website for minimum score requirements, if applicable)
- Contact details of the arbitrator (2 for master’s programs and 3 for doctoral programs)
- Other documentation (see specific program requirements)
The declaration of intent is a very important admission criterion for our doctorate. and MSc / MA program evaluators. Below are guides and examples to help you prepare a solid SoP that shows how your background, skills, knowledge and research interests fit the program. It is extremely important to demonstrate in your statement of intent that your interests converge closely with the current research of professors working in the program to which you are applying. Other doctoral candidates will certainly do this, and if you do not do so, you will lose a significant competitive advantage.
- Quick guide: How to write a declaration of intent?
- Example of a declaration of intent for a doctorate in social sciences application – Example 1
- Example of a declaration of intent for a doctorate in social sciences application – Example 2
- Example of a declaration of intent for a doctorate in application engineering – Example 1
- Example of a declaration of intent for a doctorate in application sciences – Example 2
To save time in preparing your application, please read the following tips:
- Scan and save your documents as PDF files (without encryption or password) before starting the online application
- Supporting documents (TOEFL scores, GRE scores, transcripts, diplomas) must be uploaded to the online application and NOT sent by email to the university
- All documents must be in English or include a certified English translation
- If you registered for the TOEFL or GRE / GMAT tests after the program registration deadline, you can download the documents in the online application form for a maximum of 1 week after the deadline. Otherwise, you must contact the relevant Graduate School by e-mail to send your test results and check whether your application will be evaluated for the current or next admission session.
If you have problems filling out or submitting your application online, the medjouel.com team informs you that you can send an e-mail to the Graduate School or to email@example.com for technical assistance:
- Higher School of Science and Engineering (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Higher School of Social and Human Sciences (email@example.com)
- Higher School of Health Sciences (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Business School (email@example.com)
When to apply
Some programs are open for admission only in the fall term and others are open in both spring and fall, so you may not see a specific program listed on the online application system during the application period in the spring.
Make sure to keep track of the different application deadlines and other key dates (when to wait for a decision, a pre-selection period, etc.)
After submitting your application
Once you have submitted your application, you will only be able to download the missing test results in case they were not available when you submitted the application .
In the event of a technical problem with your application, you can always send an e-mail to the relevant Graduate School.
You can check the status of your request online. Please allow 1 to 2 months from the application deadline until the administrators of the doctoral school concerned can hear you.
List of candidates
The higher school concerned will contact the shortlisted candidates by e-mail to schedule an interview or a written exam (depending on the higher education program).
Be sure to respond quickly to their emails to ensure that a possible offer of admission is made sooner.
If, during this period, you are considering one or more offers from other higher schools and you wish to know the decision of the higher school, please contact them and not the faculty member.
If it has been 3 months or more since you applied and you have not received an email from the Graduate School with a full or conditional offer, please assume that you have not passed this application round.
If your application is accepted, you will receive an offer of admission from the relevant Graduate School, which will describe the conditions that you must fulfill.
Please read your letter of offer carefully before accepting.
The sooner you tell them about your decision, the better they can help you organize your registration, accommodation, visa and other administrative procedures.
Some international students may need a student visa to enter Turkey. Our Office of the International Community (ICO) will provide you with all the information necessary to guide you through this process.