The Department of Computing Science is offering five postdoctoral scholarships for an ambitious series of projects within the Autonomous Distributed Systems lab. The fellowships are full-time for two years, starting 1st January 2023 or by agreement.
Department of Computing science
The Department of Computing Science, Umeå University conducts world-leading research in several scientific fields and is growing rapidly. We are offering up to five post doctoral scholarships to join the award-winning Autonomous Distributed Systems (ADS) Lab. The ADS lab is an internationally renowned research group focusing on autonomous management of Cloud & Edge resources and applications to best support our increasingly digitized and connected society. The lab has developed international partnerships with companies including Google, IBM, Red Hat, and Ericsson, as well as universities and institutes such as Princeton University, Imperial College London, Lawrence Berkeley Lab, etc.
The department and research group consists of a diverse group from different nationalities, backgrounds and fields. See more information at: www.umu.se/en/department-of-computing-science/ and
The scholarship projects are financed by the Kempe foundation. Each scholarship is for two years with a starting date as agreed. The scholarship amounts to 350 000 SEK per year (around 34 000 euro) plus funding for travel and equipment. The scholarships are not subject to tax.
Is this interesting for you? We welcome applications before the end of 28th October 2022.
With funding from the Kempe Foundation, the ADS Lab aims to establish a de-facto Center of Excellence in Autonomous Distributed Systems, with a particular focus on management in next-generation Edge and Cloud systems. We are offering scholarships for five postdoctoral fellows to comduct in-depth studies alongside our existing faculty within the areas but not limited to:
– Energy-Efficient Cloud Technology (energy-aware scheduling in cloud-edge environments, intelligent SDNs for energy efficiency, etc.)
– Cloud-Edge Simulation (understanding cloud-edge system interactions and impacts, developing simulation-based approaches for experimentation, etc.)
– Efficient autonomous management systems (reducing data size needed to make accurate predictions, dynamic logging strategies, balancing accuracy with performance, etc.)
– Autonomic anomaly detection for microservices (root-cause identification and automated mitigation, service mesh circuit-breaking, deep learning, etc.)
The post docs are encouraged to bring their own expertise to contribute to the design of individual projects and develop new algorithms, models, techniques, software and tools, as well as publish papers at high-impact venues.
To qualify as a post doctoral scholarship holder, the postdoctoral fellow is required to have completed a doctoral degree or a foreign degree deemed equivalent to a doctoral degree. This qualification requirements must be fulfilled no later than at the time of the decision about scholarship recipient.
Priority should be given to candidates who completed their doctoral degree, according to what is stipulated in the paragraph above, no later than three years prior. If there are special reasons, candidates who completed their doctoral degree prior to that may also be eligible. Special reasons include absence due to illness, parental leave, appointments of trust in trade union organizations, military service, or similar circumstances, as well as clinical practice or other forms of appointment/assignment relevant to the subject area.
Other requirements are:
– A PhD (or equivalent) degree in the Distributed Systems domain
– Good ability to co-operate as well as independency and take initiative.
– Strong skills in written and spoken English.
Desired qualifications include:
– A strong background in Cloud-Edge systems research or development
– Ability to program (e.g. C, Java, Python, Rust, scripting, etc.)
– A strong track-record of academic peer-reviewed publications
– Experience in systems and DevOps tools (Kubernetes, Terraform, etc.)
A full application should include:
– Personal letter
– Curriculum vitae (CV) with publication list,
– Certified copy of doctoral degree certificate,
– Certified copies of other diplomas, list of completed academic courses and grades,
– Copy of doctoral thesis and relevant articles,
– Contact information for at least two reference persons,
– Other documents that the applicant wishes to claim.
Submit your application as a PDF marked with the reference number FS 2.1.6-1783-22, both in the file name and in the subject field of the email, to email@example.com. The application can be written in English (preferably) or Swedish. Application deadline is 28 October 2022.
We look forward to receiving your application.