Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Research Assistant to support the Department of Microbiology located at the Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to the Department of Microbiology and USU.
The incumbent will provide research support for the bacteriology laboratories of Dr. Ann Jerse and Dr. George Liechti in the Department of Microbiology at the Uniformed Services University. This individual will provide tissue culture, microbiology, and molecular biology support. Performs research and/or development in collaboration with others for projects. Provides laboratory and technical support to senior technical and professional staff. Solves less complex problems in carrying out research projects in a clinical or laboratory environment.
- Performs research projects, including the collection and organization of data. Follows instructions and standard operating procedures.
- Performs data entry in accurate, timely, and efficient manner. Maintains clear and accurate data collection records and inventories in accordance with Good Clinical and/or Good Laboratory practices.
- Maintains supplies in the laboratory and ensures proper cleanliness and sanitation in accordance with Good Clinical and/or Good Laboratory practices..
- Creates, collects, disseminates, and maintains appropriate study data.
- Assists in the preparation of technical reports, summaries, and protocols. Creates and communicates detailed observations on experiments.
- Performs tissue culture, bacteriological culture, quantification of bacteria.
- Performs molecular genetics, cloning, plasmid construction / transformation.
- Performs western immunoblots, cell-based reporter assays, immunofluorescence and live cell imaging.
- Performs data entry for research projects and maintains databases.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of standard laboratory techniques; ability to follow detailed instructions; good communication and analytical skills.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: 0-2 years of relevant work experience required.
Work Environment: Evening, holiday, or weekend work may be required. Preparation for papers, manuscripts may require increased repeat experiments.
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
|Job Category||Health and Care|