1 – Company profile
For almost 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At the VUB, you’ll find a diverse collection of personalities: pure innovators, but especially people who are 100% their authentic selves. With about 3,500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels, an international city with which we are all too happy to be affiliated and around which our four campuses are located.
Our education and research are grounded in the principles of free research with an eye on human progress. We disapprove of every purely authoritative argument and guarantee the free formation of judgement that is necessary for this basic principle to be incorporated in the community.
The VUB is autonomous and managed democratically. As such, we guarantee fundamental freedoms within our university, as well as the right of the university community to be involved in making and checking university policy.
The mission of the university includes:
- the development, the transfer and the application of high-standing academic education and scientific research, free from any prejudice;
- community integration of this in a spirit of social compassion;
- critical development of everyone in light of the responsibilities borne in the community.
2 – Job Description
|Specific designation||Doctorate scholarship|
|Scope of scholarship||1 FTE|
The aim of the research is to investigate and develop the potential of using distributed optical sensing technologies for structural health monitoring and model updating in a digital twin context.
3 – Job profile
- You hold a Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering.
- You have a strong motivation for conducting scientific research at a high level.
- You possess good analytical and technical skills.
- You are interested in both experimental and numerical activities.
- You are interested in mechanical behaviour of structural components, monitoring techniques and offshore wind energy.
- Experience with data analysis, signal processing and programming in Python is an advantage.
- Experience with setting up and conducting experiments is also an advantage.
- You take responsibility for the development of your project in a well-structured, thorough way and you are able to solve problems independently. You display creativity in solving problems, generating ideas or finding new ways of working.
- You have an open personality and are willing to contribute to the team and participate in didactic projects.
- You have excellent communication skills in English, both orally and written.
- You have not performed any works in the execution of a mandate as an assistant, paid from operating resources, over a total (cumulated) period of more than 12 months.
- The effective result of the doctorate scholarship is subject to the condition precedent of enrolment of the fellow as a doctorate student at the university.
4 – Offer
As an employee of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, you’ll work, every day, in a dynamic, diverse and multilingual environment. Our campuses are located in the middle of a green oasis at the edge of the capital city of Flanders, Belgium and Europe. That city centre, with all its opportunities and possibilities, is easily accessed by public transport in less than half an hour.
Depending on your experience and your academic merits, you’ll receive a salary in one of the grades that have been set by the government. Standard inclusions include hospitalisation insurance and the free use of public transport for your home–work commute. And if you prefer to bike to work? There’s compensation for that too. On both[VB1] campuses, there are extensive sport facilities available to you and childcare facilities within walking distance.
For more information on what it’s like to work at the VUB, go to www.vub.ac.be/en/jobs.
5 – Additional information
|Expected starting date||01/04/2020|
|Duration of scholarship||12 months (renewable)|
|Contact person||Christof Devriendt|
|Contact via telephone||02 629 31 82|
|Contact via firstname.lastname@example.org|
6 – Application
Applications can only be made ONLINE
Your application must include the following as a minimum:
- A concise CV;
- The academic dossier with all relevant elements;
- A brief statement of reasons for the candidature, including an explanation of the expansion of future research;
- Degrees and diplomas.
|Job Category||Stage et Formation|