The University of Calgary opened its first overseas branch campus with generous financial support from the State of Qatar and began delivering undergraduate nursing programs in 2007. Student enrolment has steadily increased during the years, and now the University of Calgary in Qatar (UCQ) offers several nursing education streams, including a Master’s degree program. Holding an honourable position as the only international nursing program in Qatar, UCQ is dedicated to ensuring that nurses are prepared to assume a key role in shaping the healthcare in the country.
To sustain its growth in promoting and increasing the profile of professional nursing practice in Qatar, the University of Calgary in Qatar is currently seeking a Research and Graduate Coordinator as part of the PhD-Prepared Nursing Faculty. Reporting to the Dean, the incumbent will provide strategic and organizational advice as relevant to research and graduate studies, with an objective of strengthening research capacity and output of UCQ. This is an excellent opportunity for established academics at professoriate level who have the passion for working in an international academic environment.
Ideal candidates should have a successful track record in teaching at University level and scholarly research, publications, and administration. Preference will be given to PhD prepared Educators with a minimum of three years’ experience teaching at the undergraduate and/or graduate level. Registration with a Canadian or other National Nursing Authority is required.
The successful applicant will be appointed at professoriate rank commensurate with their experience, and must be prepared to relocate to Doha, Qatar preferably by August 2020. This is a two year contract renewable upon mutual agreement. Faculty seeking full term, secondment or visiting appointments are invited to submit their application.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Provides leadership and administrative direction for the UCQ Research Office and Graduate program
- Provides mentorship and necessary support to faculty and graduate students in efforts to advance their success in the written and formal presentation of research proposals
- Liaises with external groups and agencies involved with the graduate program and research to inform both curriculum and research opportunities
- Develop and maintain a database of research interest and strengths within the faculty
- Liaise with the research offices at the University of Calgary Faculty of Nursing and within Qatar to explore opportunities for interdisciplinary research
- Work closely with the Associate Dean, Academic (ADA) in supporting the development, implementation, and evaluation of the graduate program
- Collaborates with UCQ Student Services, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Faculty of Nursing, regarding student admissions and graduate studies policies
- Provide classroom instruction and/or lab or seminar (tutorial) guidance as assigned
- Consult with the Dean or Associate Dean regarding any student or course related issues that arise
- Participate as a voting member in appropriate standing and/or ad hoc committees
- Participate in nursing and/or nursing education related community service
- Support the creation of a scholarly environment through professional development, professional practice, and/or participation in research
- There is a strong expectation in this role to conduct scholarly work, i.e., peer-reviewed publications, applying for research grants, and conducting and publishing research studies.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- PhD in Nursing, or a nursing degree together with a PhD in a relevant discipline, e.g., Education, Health Care, etc.
- Strong record of research funding and scholarship (research and peer reviewed publications).
- Administrative experience in research and graduate studies.
- Ability to effectively articulate the vision, mission and strategic priorities of the University to a variety of audience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in teaching and/or supervising graduate students.
- Preferably with Nursing registration with a Canadian or other National/International registration authority
- Ability to work productively in a framework of operations that fully respects the laws, practices, culture and religion of Qatar.
All employment applications must be submitted online through our career page: https://www.ucalgary.edu.qa/careers/opportunities-canadians, preferably no later than March 28, 2020. Please note:
- Applications submitted through the general inquiries e-mail address will likely be not considered;
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted;
- Employment is contingent on the successful completion of the State of Qatar visa process; and,
- Successful candidates will be required to provide copy of their passports (valid 6 months prior to travel), police clearance, academic/professional credentials, and marriage and/or birth certificates (for those travelling with a family).
Please email general inquiries to the University of Calgary in Qatar’s HR Office in Doha at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit our website to know more about the University of Calgary in Qatar: https://www.ucalgary.edu.qa/careers/opportunities-canadians
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here.
View our Application FAQs for answers to common questions regarding the application and selection process.
|Job Category||Enseignement et recherche scientifique|