Last application date Jun 17, 2022 00:00
Department GE39 – Department of Public Health and Primary Care
Contract Limited duration
Degree Master of Science (preferably Master in one of the following disciplines: Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Nursing, Health Sciences,…). Other disciplines and final-year students are may also apply.
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy type Research staff
You conduct research within the Horizon Europe-funded EU NAVIGATE project. This is an international and interdisciplinary project that aims to evaluate how to improve the quality of life of older people with cancer and their caregivers living at home by implementing a new care navigation model. Based on a successful Canadian intervention, older adults with cancer and their caregivers will be supported by a navigator in getting the right care and support throughout their care journey.
- You will assist in developing and evaluating this new care model in Flanders, supervised by a team of experienced and passionate senior researchers and clinicians.
- You will be part of an international consortium with researchers from six different European countries (Belgium, the Netherlands, Ireland, Poland, Portugal and Italy) and Canada.
- As part of your PhD, you will write a series of scientific articles and present your research at (inter)national consortium meetings and conferences.
EU NAVIGATE PHD 1 (WORKPLACE: VUB): EXPERIMENTAL STUDY (CLINICAL TRIAL) IN FLANDERS IN COLLABORATION WITH OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRIES
This research trajectory consists of: literature reviews, preparation of the protocol for and execution of the clinical trial, in which you are responsible for data collection in Flanders, development and validation of questionnaires, quantitative (questionnaires) and qualitative (interviews, stakeholder workshops,… ) data collection, data analysis, and reporting.
EU NAVIGATE PHD 2 (WORKPLACE: UGent): DEVELOPING AND TESTING THE CARE NAVIGATION INTERVENTION FOR THE EU NAVIGATE PROJECT
This research trajectory consists of: literature reviews, development and testing of the navigation intervention and training courses together with the original developers of the intervention from Canada, the international EU NAVIGATE consortium and a stakeholder group in Flanders, qualitative research (interviews, and stakeholder workshops) and quantitative research, data analysis, and reporting.
What we offer:
- Full-time doctoral scholarship for the duration of 4 years, subject to favorable annual evaluation
- The opportunity to participate in an innovative European research project, funded by Horizon2020, and to be part of a large international consortium
- The opportunity to obtain a joint PhD at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Ghent University
- Close supervision of the scientific work by experienced senior researchers and regular consultation with an expert project group consisting of professors and other experts within and outside the research group
A pleasant workplace with a collegial atmosphere, and many other early-stage PhD researchers
- Possibility of international mobility (research visit), if desired and opportune
- You will receive a monthly salary, in accordance with the salary scale of UGent or VUB, depending on your workplace
- You get several other benefits such as:
- Computer/laptop and all necessary software to carry out your research
- Maximum contribution to travel costs by public transport (train, bus, tram and bus or bicycle), depending on place of residence
- Hospitalization insurance (including guaranteed income)
- 35 or 36 days of leave per year
- Affordable use of sports facilities and budget-friendly meals on campus
- Eco vouchers
- Frequent offer of specialized workshops for researchers to advance your academic and transferrable skills (e.g. Scientific Writing, Science Communication, Project Management, Presentation Skills, Media Presence,…)
Starting date of employment: September 2022 (specific date negotiable)
PLace of employment: Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Campus Jette, building K, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Jette OR Ghent University, Campus UZ Gent, building K3, Corneel Heymanslaan 10, 9000 Ghent
You are a passionate person with:
- A Master of Science (preferably Master in one of the following disciplines: Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Nursing, Health Sciences, …). Other disciplines and final-year students may also apply.
- An enthusiastic and flexible attitude
- An analytical mind and a critical attitude to scientifically assess research data
- Knowledge and/or experience with regard to qualitative and/or quantitative research methods
- Knowledge, experience or interest in learning to work with analytical software (e.g. SPSS, STATA, SAS or R; or NVIVO, Atlas.ti)
- Good written and oral communication in Dutch and (academic) English
How to apply
Send your motivation letter (English) and CV (Dutch or English, with an indication of degrees obtained) before June 17 to Joni.Gilissen@vub.be and Rose.Miranda@vub.be.
After favorable evaluation of your CV and motivation letter, you will be invited for a written test. This will take place end of June.
Do you have further questions?
Talk to one of our current PhDs (Isabel.Vandenbogaerde@vub.be)
Contact dr. Joni Gilissen (Joni.Gilissen@vub.be; +32476465689)
Contact dr. Rose Miranda (Rose.Miranda@vub.be)