Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking an Epidemiologist to support the Navy and Marine Corp Public Health Center’s (NMCPHC) EpiData Center (EDC) located in Portsmouth, VA. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to NMCPHC/EDC.
The EDC provides subject matter expertise in communicable diseases, drug resistant organisms, occupational and environmental epidemiology, and deployment related health conditions. The selected candidate would be responsible for providing data analysis and study design as well as assisting with conducting studies and investigations.
- Initiates, designs, implements, and evaluates epidemiological studies in support of NMCPHC.
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate functions of crossfunctional teams of professional and support personnel in conducting routine and nonroutine epidemiologic evaluations.
- Provides consultation regarding study design and necessary statistical analysis to include multivariate methods. This includes advising on designing studies, determining safety and effectiveness of new treatments, analyzing statistics and epidemiological interpretations of the research.
- Assists with publishing professional and scientific papers and presenting findings at state and national conferences.
- Develops advanced concepts, techniques, and standards.
- Develops new applications based on professional principles and theories.
- Maintains a liaison role with staff and customers and acts independently on issues within his/her field of expertise.
- Assists fellow researchers as needed regarding epidemiological procedures.
- Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Background in surveillance and experience working with healthcare data. epidemiologic research methods for assessing the risk of disease in humans due to potential risk factors; knowledge of statistical software including SAS, MINITAB, and BMDP; excellent written and oral communication skills; experience using TMDS, HL7, DRSi, eDHA, DMDC, BECIR, PDTS, CAPER, SIDR.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Master’s degree in Epidemiology required.
Work Experience: 3-5 years of experience or PhD in Epidemiology with 0-2 years of experience required.
Physical Capabilities: Requires long periods of working at a computer; may lift heavy materials.
Work Environment: Office and laboratory environment.
Background/Security: US Citizenship required: Eligibility to obtain and hold Department of Defense issued Secret Clearance.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
|Job Category||Health and Care|