The ICN2 offers a competitive PhD Programme to talented students who wish to develop a research career at one of the top European institutions in the field of nanoscience and nanotechnology. Selected students will have the opportunity to develop their PhD thesis in a topic at the cutting-edge of nanoresearch in a stimulating environment with access to outstanding research infrastructure.
Selected candidates will benefit from the ICN2 PhD Programme, which comprises a structured training path with scientific seminars, and technical and transferable skills training throughout the duration of their PhD, plus periodical monitoring and evaluation activities. The objective is to provide students all the support they need for the proper development of their research career.
The ICN2 actively promotes international and interdisciplinary research. As such our PhD students are strongly encouraged to undertake mobility actions, such as research visits abroad (including industrial placements), collaborations with national and international partners, and conference and workshop attendance. The overall goal is to maximise the student’s career prospects after completing their PhD, improving their chances of continuing their research at prominent institutions worldwide in academia and/or industry.
Research areas and groups:
Selected candidates will carry out their research in cross-disciplinary research areas and/or application areas such as the ones listed below:
- CROSS–DISCIPLINARY RESEARCH
- Nanomaterials &Nanofabrication
- Modelling and simulation
- APPLICATION AREAS OF RESEARCH
- Information, communication and quantum technologies
Candidates can review the research lines here: https://icn2.cat/pdf/Research-lines-jun21.pdf
During the application process, candidates will be asked to select the ICN2 research group(s) they would like to join. Please visit the profiles of our groups at http://icn2.cat/en/research
Candidates must fulfil the following requirements:
- Have obtained a Master or equivalent degree in a field of science related to ICN2 research activities or group they would like to join by the date of incorporation.
- Have an excellent academic record and strong commitment to scientific research. Previous research experience is highly regarded.
- High level of English.
- Specific additional eligibility requirements may apply depending on the funding schemes available.
For any further clarification as to these requirements, applicants should contact email@example.com prior to submitting an application.
Research career profile (based on the European Framework for Research Careers):
First Stage Researcher (R1)
Summary of conditions:
- The candidates pre-selected for this programme will need to apply for competitive fellowships in order to secure the funding required to formalise their contract. The ICN2 will provide full support to these candidates for the preparation of their fellowship applications. Candidates who are successful in their applications will be admitted to the ICN2 PhD Programme, and will benefit from:
- Full-time working contract as a PhD researcher. Contracts include medical care under the Spanish public healthcare system and workplace accident insurance.
- Relocation support.
- ICN2 social benefits: life insurance, flexible timetable, flexible compensation package.
- Training and monitoring programme: Students admitted to the ICN2 PhD Programme will have full access to the scientific, technical and transferable skills training and relevant monitoring activities organised each year.
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 careers website and include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A full CV including contact details.
- 2 reference letters.
- Academic records (if the transcripts are not in English, Catalan or Spanish, applicants should also attach a translation in one of the mentioned languages). Important: Include the final marks on the application form using the equivalence marks link: http://www.educacionyfp.gob.es/en/servicios-al-ciudadano/catalogo/general/20/203615/ficha.html
- Applicants should indicate in the application form 3 ICN2 groups they would like to work in.
After submitting their application, the applicant will receive confirmation of receipt by email. For additional information in the application procedure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The selection of candidates will be based on their academic qualifications and research excellence. The estimated call calendar is as follows:
|Call opening||–||14 June 2022|
|Deadline for applications||–||11 September 2022*|
|Committee evaluation||ICN2 Recruitment Committee||September/October 2022|
|Notification to candidates||Human Resources||October/November 2022|
* Applications will be reviewed continuously and vacancies may be filled before the deadline due to the scholarship calendar. Do not wait until the deadline for your application.
The ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and the inclusion of people with disabilities.
ICN2 is following the procedure for contract of people with disabilities according with article 59 of the Royal Decree 1/2015, of 30 of October.