The Basque Center for Climate Change (BC3) is looking for candidates who can support its strategic activities related to integrated data science and collaborative and integrated modeling on the semantic web. The selected candidates will contribute to the ARIES (ARtificial Intelligence for Ecosystem Services) project powered by the k.LAB software stack, a semantic web infrastructure that uses artificial intelligence to create IT solutions to environmental, political and sustainability issues.
The candidate will contribute to the design and implementation of the modeling engine, which assembles the components and model data available on the network and compiles the assembled graph into an executable data stream. The candidate must be familiar with the principles of simulation modeling, machine reasoning using OWL and its Java implementations (OWLAPI), open source GIS (for example Geotools), machine learning (Weka), and be aware or open to quickly learn the corresponding technologies on the Java platform. Understanding of REST, Spring and Websockets (for communication with the front end) will be necessary.
- Collaborate in the development, strengthening and debugging of the back-end and / or client components of the k.LAB software stack (and more specifically of the modeling engine).
- Collaborate in the definition of unit tests and code revision policies for k.LAB and associated data products / models.
- Participate in all aspects of the development lifecycle, including analysis, design, development, documentation, publishing, and deployment.
- Communicate and coordinate with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to learn quickly and think outside the box. Our work is very innovative and you can expect your work to be as intellectually stimulating as it is rewarding. Strong motivation and a desire to learn and explore new technologies are essential.
- A degree in computer science (or similar), or very good reasons not to have one!
- Excellent communication skills, including a very good knowledge of the written and spoken English language. Most of our communications are in English, although knowledge of Spanish and / or Italian is an asset.
- An understanding of artificial intelligence, in particular knowledge representation, formal semantics and machine reasoning.
- Practical knowledge of geomatics (OGC services, etc.) and the modeling of dynamic systems.
- Ability to work independently on projects and issues, with projects that include multiple and diverse technologies and scope.
- Ability to work with a diverse, multi-site and multilingual team.
- Three or more years of experience in as many of these technologies as possible:
- Experience in Java software development, with mature design, coding, testing and debugging skills in a JVM environment, but also comfortable and happy to work in a multilingual environment.
- Perfect mastery of Git and Maven technologies throughout the construction-test-version cycle.
- Experience with an agile development process with problem tracking, continuous development and deployment (BC3 uses the Atlassian tool chain: Jira, Bamboo, Confluence).
- Experience in designing and implementing REST service APIs and high performance backgrounds, preferably with Spring.
- Knowledge of Docker containers and deployment of production software;
- Knowledge and experience in development with and for the Eclipse environment.
Experience in the creation and supply of “big data” solutions in a production environment (management of large data sets or collaboration with Hadoop, HDFS and Apache Spark).
What we offer:
- An employment contract in accordance with the candidate’s skills and experience, including full benefits.
- A stimulating work environment in the context of the innovative research line of modeling integrated within BC3.
- 30 days of vacation per year beyond the festivities.
- Flexible working hours and partial telework.
- Help with moving.
- The thriving urban environment of Bilbao and the spectacular nature of the Basque Country.
1 year with renewal option on mutual satisfaction
The position will offer a competitive salary, corresponding to the academic and professional profile of the candidate and excellent working conditions.
Basque Center for Climate Change (BC3), Biscay (Spain).
As an institution rewarded for excellence in human resources, BC3 is committed to reconciling research and academic requirements with family obligations. BC3 is particularly concerned with creating equality opportunities for women and men. Women with the required qualifications are therefore strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should send us their CV and cover letter, in English, by email ( email@example.com ) stating the subject of the message ” Java Backend Developer “.
Informal requests can be made to Professor Ferdinando Villa ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) and Stefano Balbi ( email@example.com ). All information received during this process will be treated confidentially.