Université de Montréal
Université de Montréal has more than 10,000 employees and is one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
UdeM has Canada’s 2nd largest student body and ranks among the top five Canadian universities in research, receiving more than half a billion dollars in research funding every year.
Through the achievements of the members of its community, UdeM participates in building today’s and tomorrow’s world.
Assistant Professor in Swine Medicine
Département de sciences cliniques, Faculté de médecine vétérinaire
The Faculté de médecine vétérinaire (FMV) of the Université de Montréal is currently seeking qualified candidates for an Assistant Professor position in Swine Medicine. The FMV is located in Saint-Hyacinthe, the agricultural capital of Quebec with 57 000 inhabitants. The FMV is located 60 km (37 miles) from Montreal, a vibrant city with an international airport and excellent flight connections to Europe and the USA. The FMV is also within easy reach of the beautiful, historic Quebec City and Ottawa, the capital of Canada. The FMV is located off campus, but maintains strong collaborative ties to other faculties at the Université de Montréal and other universities within the province. A structured mentorship program is available for newly hired professors.
The swine sector in the Département de sciences cliniques of the FMV is dynamic and has developed several collaborations with other professionals and partners in the swine industry through the Laboratory of Epidemiology and Swine Medicine (LEMP). Several well-structured and recognized research groups also work within the Faculty, namely research groups on Infectious diseases in animal production (GREMIP), Swine and poultry infectious diseases research center (CRIPA), food safety (GRESA) and epidemiology of zoonoses and public health (GREZOSP).
Canada markets nearly 30 million pigs per year and the Quebec swine industry, the second largest among animal productions in Quebec, is very dynamic and particularly well structured.
As a professor, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the excellence of the Faculté de médecine vétérinaire:
Through your teaching and your research activities, enhancing the reputation of your discipline and playing an active role in the overall operations of a renowned institution and your involvement in the swine industry. As such, you will:
- Participate in the didactic teaching of swine medicine to undergraduate and graduate students, as well a the continuing education of veterinarians;
- Participate in the clinical teaching of swine medicine through the extension and referral services of the veterinary teaching hospital, the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vétérinaire (CHUV), as well as providing expertise to the swine industry and its stakeholders;
- Develop research activities in swine medicine;
- Contribute in outreach activities within the field of swine medicine (publications, conferences and others);
- Collaborate in certain activities of the swine industry and act as a reference person for partners in the swine sector at different levels of government;
- Contribute to the overall organization of the University.
To succeed in this role, you must have the following qualifications:
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent degree;
- Have a Ph.D. in a field related to the posted position;
- Strong interest and aptitude for teaching, research and clinical service;
- Hold or be eligible to obtain a license to practice veterinary medicine in the province of Quebec (Canada) issued by the Ordre des médecins vétérinaires du Québec;
- Adequate knowledge of the French written and spoken language or a strong commitment to mastering the proficiency level required, in accordance with Université de Montréal’s Language Policy. An institutional learning support program is offered to all professors wishing to learn French or improve their communication skills.
How to submit your application
All candidates are invited to submit a letter of intent detailing their research interests and career objectives, as well as their curriculum vitae, a copy of their diplomas, and the full name and contact information (phone numbers, email, postal address) of 3 referees. Applications should be sent to:
Dr. André Desrochers
Chair, Department of Clinical Sciences
Faculté de médecine vétérinaire
Université de Montréal
3200, rue Sicotte, St-Hyacinthe (QC) J2S 2M2
Phone: 450-773-8521 ext. 8297
Additional information about the position
Reference number: FMV 04-21/3_2
Application deadline: Until June 15th, 2021 inclusively. Applications received after the deadline might be considered if no other timely applications meet the requirements.n
Salary: Université de Montréal offers competitive salaries and a full range of benefits
Starting date: As of September 1st, 2021, or according to candidate’s availability
|Job Category||Enseignement et recherche scientifique|