We are looking for an assistant professor who can strengthen our position in the field of epithelial ion transport with a focus on rare kidney diseases and the development of advanced experimental models.
Our research focuses on the elucidation of the molecular mechanisms underlying electrolyte and water transport processes in epithelia including kidney and intestine. Over the last decades, our group has identified many hereditary disorders of renal and intestinal ion transport. By the use of conditionally immortalized cell lines and overexpression of proteins of interest, we have characterized proteins and regulatory pathways of sodium, calcium and magnesium (re)absorption. Although these models have provided us with great insight in protein function, undifferentiated cell models cannot reproduce the complexity of the intestines and the kidneys.
In this assistant professor position, we aim to further enhance our current cell and tissue culture systems. We are actively improving current cell cultures by introducing advanced culture membranes and flow in our epithelial cell systems. Moreover, we aim to develop novel epithelial cell systems for functional electrolyte transport measurements by immortalizing primary cells and by developing organ-specific organoids.
Recently, organoids have been developed into innovative tools to study the normal and diseased organs. Although protocols are still being developed, iPSCs derived organoids already demonstrate higher expression levels of channels and transporters than most epithelial cell lines. In the coming years, we aim to further develop these kidney organoids to examine the pathogenicity of patient mutations, to study hormone and signaling pathways and to allow drug screening. Supported by our international network of collaborators, we aim to set the next step in epithelial electrolyte transport by developing the disease models of the future.
Tasks and responsibilities
At the stage of assistant professor 65% of your time is for research, 25% for teaching activities and 10% for organizational tasks.
- Develop your own research line and contribute to research lines in our department in the area of epithelial ion transport in the intestine and/or kidney.
- Supervise PhD candidates.
- Acquire external funding.
- Promote the societal relevance of your research.
- Work in an inspiring team of fundamental and translation scientists and lecturers to discuss, plan and perform research in an international environment.
- Teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programs in Biology, Biomedical Sciences and Medicine (BSc & MSc level).
- Contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management.
The department of Physiology has a long-standing tradition in transport physiology in epithelia and has built up a substantial know-how and infrastructure in the field of molecular and cellular physiology of electrolyte transport. The Molecular Physiology group consists of an enthusiastic research team of about 25 people and is, together with basic science and research-oriented clinical departments of the Radboud university medical center, housed in the Radboud Institute for Molecular Life Sciences. This integrates diverse scientific expertise in molecular and medical science for the advancement of innovation in translational research.
Radboud university medical center is a university medical center for patient care, scientific research, and education in Nijmegen. Radboud university medical center strives to be at the forefront of shaping the healthcare of the future. We do this in a person-centered and innovative way, and in close collaboration with our network. We want to have a significant impact on healthcare. We want to improve with each passing day, continuously working towards better healthcare, research, and education. And gaining a better understanding of how diseases arise and how we can prevent, treat, and cure them, day in and day out. This way, every patient always receives the best healthcare, now and in the future. Because that is why we do what we do.
You have a strong motivation to succeed in scientific research. You are independent and have a well-structured working style. Besides you have well-developed leadership skills with embracing principles of team science. Furthermore:
- PhD degree in Biomedical Sciences.
- 2-7 years of experience as postdoctoral researcher.
- Track record of personal in competition obtained funding.
- Demonstrated success in high impact publication as first or senior author.
- Experience with supervision of PhD candidates.
Terms of employment
As assistant professor you will enter a tenure track that, if followed successfully, will lead to a full professorship. In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 5 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as an associate professor. After another 4 to 7 years you will be assessed for promotion to the position of full professor.
Working at Radboud university medical center means that you are ahead of the curve and working together on the healthcare of the future. And there is more. Our secondary terms of employment are impressive. These are fully tailored to you thanks to our Employment Conditions Selection Model. At Radboud university medical center, you will be given trust, and you will take the responsibility to handle everything together. We provide annual courses, both professional and personal.
- In addition to your monthly salary and an annual vacation allowance of 8%, you will receive an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
- If you work irregular hours, you will receive an allowance.
- As a full-time employee (36 hours per week), you are entitled to approximately 168 vacation hours (over 23 days) per year.
- The scale is 11: min € 3.922,- max € 5.383,- gross per month at full employment (excl. vacation bonus and end of year payments).
- Radboud university medical center pays 70% of the pension premium. You pay the rest of the premium with your gross salary.
- You get a discount on health insurance as well: you can take advantage of two group health insurance plans. UMC Zorgverzekering and CZ collectief.
We would like to receive your application before 9 November 2021. We will then contact you shortly. An assessment will be part of the selection procedure.
What else can you expect?
When you begin employment, we will request a certificate of conduct (VOG) and, depending on the position, you may be screened. You do not need to do anything for this; we will inform you later.
Radboud university medical center is an employer that welcomes everyone. Every colleague brings valuable experience, expertise, and creativity. We believe in the benefits of a diverse and inclusive organization. #weareradboudumc
All additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Prof. Joost Hoenderop, full professor via +31 (0) 24-361 05 80, or from Prof. René Bindels, full professor via +31 (0) 24-361 34 26. Use the Apply button to submit your application.
We are recruiting for this vacancy ourselves. We only accept applications directly from the applicants themselves, but intermediaries are welcome to share our vacancies in their networks.
|Job Category||Teaching and scientific research|