We invite interested candidates passionate about research and motivated to pursue an exciting and successful career in business academia to apply for the PhD in Management Programme offered by INSEAD, one of the world’s leading and largest business schools.
The INSEAD PhD in Management seeks 16-18 candidates in the following fields: Accounting, Decision Sciences, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Marketing, Organisational Behaviour, Strategy, and Technology and Operations Management, and it is highly interdisciplinary across areas. Moreover, applicants come from various subject areas, with or without a management background, and research experience is beneficial, though not required before applying.
Fully integrated across INSEAD’s two campuses, France and Singapore, PhD students interact with faculty experts and like-minded peers, benefit from alliances with Wharton and Sorbonne and conduct world-class research in the school’s state-of-the-art behavioural lab in Paris.
The INSEAD PhD intimate size ensures critical faculty mentorship and research support. It seeks to admit research partners for its faculty, not research assistants. Through rigorous research training, students and alumni produce outstanding research during and after the PhD programme. To view the recent accolades they’ve received, go to inse.ad/phd-research-awards
All PhD students receive five (5) years of fellowship regardless of background, nationality and need; therefore, they need not worry about associated costs in pursuing doctoral studies. We renew this annual benefit contingent upon satisfactory progress in the programme.
As many leading universities try to internationalise both curriculum and faculty, having the INSEAD PhD gives students a tremendous edge to pursue global academic careers with its international programme format. With the programme’s formidable placement history, PhD graduates secure coveted management professor placements in leading business schools worldwide.
- Who are welcome to apply?
- What are the criteria to apply?
- What is covered by the five years PhD funding?
- What are the next steps?
- How to apply for the mid-August 2023 intake?
- Summary of the INSEAD PhD programme information
WHO ARE WELCOME TO APPLY?
The INSEAD PhD welcomes applications from various subject areas, including engineering, technology, economics, psychology, sociology, sciences, etc. Senior undergraduates, master’s students (research or coursework track), pre-doc associates and fellows, and alumni with 1-7 years or more industry experience are encouraged to apply. Moreover, neither a formal business education nor professional experience is compulsory, and having prior research experience is helpful but not required before applying.
Regardless of background, all applicants must have a clear motivation to pursue a career in business academia as a researcher and management professor.
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA TO APPLY?
Applicants have a solid academic record, a competitive GMAT or GRE test, research exposure, strong faculty recommendations, and the desire to pursue unparalleled business research as a management professor. To view the complete list of minimum admissions requirements, visit inse.ad/phd-application-checklist
WHAT IS COVERED BY THE FIVE (5) YEARS FELLOWSHIP?
The fellowship includes a tuition fee waiver, annual living expenses and accommodation, research and conference budget support, and health insurance coverage. For more details: inse.ad/phd-stipend.
There is no separate application to qualify for the fellowship. Once admitted, PhD students will receive funding for the first five years of doctoral studies.
WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS?
Preparing for a PhD application takes substantial time and effort. Although we are still in the early stages of the application process, we strongly urge you to talk to us soon about your graduate study and career plans. Then, we can discuss the steps you can take to prepare for a successful and competitive INSEAD PhD application. To reach out to us, please accomplish the form inse.ad/phd-contact-us-2023-intake.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE MID-AUGUST 2023 INTAKE?
Applicants need to submit an online application. All supporting documents must be converted to PDFs and uploaded to the application portal
The application website opens in September 2022, and the deadline is Thursday, 05 January 2023. For more details, go to inse.ad/phd/admissions.
With the INSEAD PhD in Management, students:
- Become part of a highly diverse PhD community – work alongside faculty members who are among the world’s renowned experts in their respective fields and like-minded peers
- Study in two locations – France and Singapore, go for an exchange in the US at Wharton through the INSEAD-Wharton Alliance and benefit from the Alliance Sorbonne Université with Sorbonne University in Paris, France
- Secure top academic placements in leading business schools worldwide
- Receive automatic five years full scholarship, regardless of background, upon admission inse.ad/phd-financing
Minimum admissions requirements: Applicants must meet the following –
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent; candidates with master’s degrees are welcome to apply
- A recent GMAT or GRE score (less than five years old); this standardised test is mandatory, and we cannot waive it under any circumstances
- A TOEFL score (less than two years old) if English is not your native language. We can automatically waive TOEFL if any of your degrees’ medium of instruction is English
- Academic transcripts and certificates (if not in English, we require an official English translation); we accept transcripts in French and German
- Three letters of recommendation, with at least one faculty referee who can attest to your potential as a researcher; we also receive industry recommenders
- Statement of purpose (1,500 words essay)
- Recorded one-way interview (you can only access this after submitting the online application)
- Application fee of €50 per application
Study form: Five years full-time
Programme structure: Years 1 and 2: course work; Years 3 to 5: dissertation phase
Application start date: September 2022
Closing Date: Thursday, 05 January 2023, 23:59 CET
Start of intake: mid-August 2023
Location of studies: Singapore and Fontainebleau, France
About INSEAD: www.insead.edu