EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We support talented researchers at all stages of their careers in Europe and beyond, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a research environment where scientists can achieve their best work. The prestigious EMBO Fellowship Programme has benefited thousands of scientists since its implementation in the 1960s. The programme covers both short-term exchange grants and the EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme, funding hundreds of scientists annually and supporting them in gaining expertise, expanding their networks, and fostering scientific progress.
EMBO is looking for a Senior Programme Officer for the EMBO Fellowship Programme. We are seeking a science administrator with a life science background to work across all areas of activity of the Fellowship Programme.
- Support programme officers and assistants with all aspects of the fellowship application process
- Identify and assign reviewers and interviewers for all programme schemes as applicable;
- Contribution to iaision with fellowship committee members
- Contribute to optimising programme development, such as providing structured feedback to unsuccessful applicants
- Coordinate and organise Fellows’ meetings, outreach and alumni events, including drafting programmes, identifying speakers and audience, event coordination and logistics in liaison with other members of the Fellowship team;
- Respond to enquiries from applicants, candidates, and current programme members concerning scientific aspects of the programme’s schemes;
- Check and evaluate final reports for all programme schemes;
- Collect, collate and evaluate data on the fellowship schemes;
- Support programme communication and the social media presence of the programme, also in liaison with the EMBO Communications team;
- Perform additional tasks as required by the Head of the Fellowship Programme and the EMBO Director.
This position will occasionally require duty travel and working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings or during the weekend.
- A PhD in molecular biology or a related field of the life sciences;
- At least two years of relevant experience in science administration, preferably in an international environment; or alternatively experience as an editor for a life science journal;
- A service-oriented, friendly nature and a can-do attitude;
- The ability to prioritise and carry out concurrent tasks to a high-quality standard, even under pressure;
- Excellent written and oral English language skills.
You might also have
- Experience in coordinating and organising scientific events;
- Additional language skills are advantageous.
Why join us
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a lively university city. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation and family-related benefits where applicable.
As a non-profit organisation, we have an informal and collegial working environment that is inspired by our dedication to working for a common greater good. This position is mostly office-based, with flexible working options available.
What else you need to know
What else do I need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed-term contracts can be renewed up to 9 years in total, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
The Senior Programme Officer reports to the Head of the EMBO Fellowship Programme.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is a signatory of DORA. Find out how we implement best practices in research assessment in our recruitment processes here.