At the Institute of Energy and Climate Research – Fundamental Electrochemistry (IEK-9) –, we perform research on highly relevant topics related to the energy transition. For example, we investigate new battery concepts and how we can turn the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2) into the fuel of the future. The aim is to develop sustainable and cost-effective electrochemical systems with improved energy and power density, longer lifetime, and maximal safety. Using PEM electrolysis for a hydrogen production based on renewable energies is becoming increasingly important for us. Find out more about our mission and future-oriented projects here: https://go.fzj.de/IEK-9.
We are looking to recruit a
Postdoc – Production of Green Hydrogen and Methanol
You will work on the production of green hydrogen and methanol as transportable energy carrier and commodity chemical. An overall process chain consisting of direct air capture, solid oxide electrolysis and downstream methanol reactor is being investigated. The focus of this work is the thermal integration and optimization of the sub-processes mentioned above.
Your tasks in detail:
- Design and optimization of the process chain
- Supervision of the implementation of a solid oxide electrolysis model for process simulation
- Supervision of process simulation and model validation
- Provision of support in the layout of the electrolysis demonstrator as well as technical support for the project partner in setting up the demonstrator system
- Design, engineering, and experimental investigation of system components on a laboratory scale
- Commissioning and operation of the electrolysis demonstrator system
- Publishing the results in international journals and at conferences
- Support and (co-)supervision of students and PhD candidates
- Completed university degree (Master) in the field of chemistry, process engineering, energy engineering, or a related discipline with a subsequent doctorate
- Very good knowledge of thermodynamics
- Sound knowledge in process simulation
- Ideally, experience in carrying out process engineering experiments, project work, and in supervising students
- Independent and responsible way of working and enjoyment of cooperative work
- Good knowledge of German and English
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We support you in your work with:
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- Comprehensive training courses and individual opportunities for personal and professional further development
- Extensive company health management
- Ideal conditions for balancing work and private life, as well as a family-friendly corporate policy
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
- Discussion of and preparation for professional development opportunities supported by our Career Center & Postdoc Office (https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/career-center-postdoc-office)
- Flexible work (location) arrangements, e.g. remote work
- Flexible working hours in a full-time position (39 hours per week) with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- 30 days of annual leave and an attractive regulation for bridging days (e.g. between Christmas and New Year)
In addition to exciting tasks and a collaborative working atmosphere at Jülich, we have a lot more to offer: https://go.fzj.de/benefits.
We offer you an exciting and varied role in an international and interdisciplinary working environment. The position is limited until May 31, 2026. Salary and social benefits will conform to the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) depending on the applicant’s qualifications and the precise nature of the tasks assigned to them.
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
We look forward to receiving your application. The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible via our Online Recruitment System!
Questions about the Offer?
Please feel free to contact us via our contact form. Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.
# 6 BEST EMPLOYERS IN GERMANY 2023
Características del Puesto
|Categoría de Puesto||Postdoctoral|