External Publication of Job Posting 50709598
Job Posting Title : SECRETARY – PAU
Start Date : 17.12.2019
End Date : 20.01.2020
Reference Code : 30004828 -03
Job Title : SECRETARY – PAU
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s
rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among
the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is
located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
The Pan African University (PAU) is a continental academic and research institution created by the African
Union, that is based on the following guiding principles: academic freedom, autonomy, accountability, quality
assurance, strengthening existing African institutions at the graduate and post-graduate levels to enable them to
serve the whole continent, excellence and international partnerships in academic and research activities, gender
parity and equality at all levels and in all university functions.
In order to contribute to the emergence and strengthening of an African higher education and research platform,
the PAU consists of five (5) thematic Institutes hosted by existing institutions located in the five geographic
regions of the African Union, namely:
i. Life and Earth Sciences (including Health and Agriculture) located at University of Ibadan in Nigeria for Western Africa
ii. Basic Sciences, Technology and Innovation located at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) in Kenya for Eastern Africa
iii. Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences located at University of Yaoundé II in Cameroon for Central Africa
iv. Water and Energy Sciences (including climate change) located at University of Tlemcen in Algeria for North Africa, and
v. Space Sciences located at University of Cape Town in South Africa for Southern Africa.
The PAU also aims at the promotion of African integration through the mobility of students, academic and administrative staff, collaborative research linked to the challenges faced by African countries, the institution of an appropriate framework to enable the African Diaspora to contribute towards the development of higher education and research in Africa, promotion of inter-disciplinary and multidisciplinary research programmes linked to policy making processes, promotion of productive linkages with the industrial sector for innovation and dissemination of new knowledge, full use of Information and Communication Technologies for pedagogy, research and management. The PAU takes into account the basic principles of the United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
In seeking to achieve the PAU mandate and objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its human resourced on filling in all its vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States to apply for the position of Secretary within the Pan African University Rectorate (PAU) in Yaoundé Cameroon.
Job title: Secretary
Post level: GSA4 Step 1
Supervisor: PAU Rector
Duty Station: Yaounde, Cameroon
Number of Position: 1
2- Job Purpose:
To provide secretarial and clerical support services to the PAU Rectorate for its effective functioning.
3- Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the PAU Rector, the Secretary will be requested, among others, to:
• Type and proof read documents, reports, correspondences, messages, queries, etc as may be required by assigned supervisors;
• Draft responses to routine correspondences for the signature of the supervisors;
• Receive guests/visitors/staff and provide them with basic information on relevant issues and procedures;
• Maintain a proper filing and recording system for all incoming and outgoing correspondences and documents;
• Answer and screen telephone calls/E-mail messages and ensure follow up with supervisors and partners;
• Keep an up to date diary of appointments for supervisors and other senior staff of the division;
• Keep equipment in use in good condition and report on defects for maintenance and other necessary action;
• Provide day to day routine administrative supports to various work units of the assigned Department / Division / Units;
• Perform reception services where required;
• Perform any other relevant duty/responsibility assigned.
4- Required Skills and Competencies
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Good Knowledge of the workings of international organizations
• Experience in office management and organization of multi-stakeholder meetings
• Experience in working with multi-stakeholders.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills both in English and French;
• Proven ability to use clear, concise language in correspondence as well as including content fitting for the purpose and audiences when preparing written briefs and reports;
• Good interpersonal skills, organizational ability and time management;
• Good computer skills, including excellent word processing, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications experience in using programmes such as MS Word, Excel and Power Point
• Excellent Computer literacy
• Good planning and organizational skills
• Ability to give attention to details and ability to work effectively under pressure;
• Excellent Interpersonal skills
• Willingness to work unsociable hours
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment
• High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit
• Adaptive, Patient, resilient and flexible, proactive and solutions oriented
• Good interpersonal skills, organisational ability and time management;
• Proactivity, adaptability and flexibility
Knowledge and Understanding
• Working knowledge and understanding of the work of Higher Learning Institutions
• Good knowledge and practical use of Computer are mandatory
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in both in French and English languages;
5. Qualifications and Work Experience required:
A minimum of diploma in Administrative Services, Office Management, Secretarial and Clerical related studies,
with 5 years of relevant work experience in secretarial in a Government, public sector or international organization
First Degree in Social Sciences would be an added advantage;
6. Language Requirement:
Applicants must be proficient in English or French. Advanced Knowledge of one more or several other working
languages would be an added advantage.
7. Tenure of Appointment:
The Appointment will be made on regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve
months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be a period of two years
renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
8. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
9. Least Represented Countries
Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape
Verde, Central African Rep. , Comoros, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ghana,
Guinea, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Saharawi Arab D.R. , Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles,
Somalia, South Africa and South Sudan
Indicative basic salary of US$12,834.00 (GSA4) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment
(48% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,813.44 (per annum), education allowance (100% of tuition
and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child
per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff of the Commission
The applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website http://www.aucareers.org not later than
20 January 2020.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Regular (Long Duration)
PAU Yaoundé, Cameroon
Caractéristiques de l'emploi
|Catégorie emploi||Assistanat - Secrétariat - Accueil|