The University of Oulu is one of the biggest and most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We create new knowledge and innovations that help to solve global challenges. We offer you an international and inspiring working environment where you are given responsibility and can use your skills, develop yourself and do work that matters. Our flexible and family-friendly workplace makes it easy for you to balance work and leisure. The University of Oulu is ranked in the top 3% of the world´s universities.
We are now looking for
two (2) Postdoctoral Researchers
to join us in the Research Unit of Clinical Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine. One of the two Postdoctoral Researchers should be more experienced.
The Research Unit of Clinical Medicine unit conducts versatile basic research and clinical research in its specialties. The aim of the research is to promote lifelong health. The high level of research can be seen, for example, in the considerable amount of external funding, especially in the research of diabetes, prematurity, infectious diseases, paediatric neurological diseases, skin diseases and psychiatry. In the field of psychiatry research has focused on psychiatric epidemiology and clinical neuroscience of psychiatric disorders.
About the job
As a postdoctoral researcher in the Youth-GEMS study, you will join an international research team that studies how mental health trajectories develop from childhood into adulthood. The Youth-GEMS study is a Horizon Europe funded study running in Finland, Ireland, Spain, Netherlands, Serbia, Croatia, Estonia, and the UK and involves some of the most in-depth research ever conducted on teenagers attending mental health services.
You will play a central role in coordinating and running the Finnish site of the study. Your responsibilities will include liaising with mental health services, recruiting patients, carrying out digital assessments, entering and analysing data, and disseminating the findings to relevant stakeholders. You will have close communication with the network of researchers and clinicians based at the other study sites.
What we offer?
- The support of an experienced and enthusiastic team of interdisciplinary researchers where you can share your expertise and grow as an expert.
- Wellness benefit ePassi covering sport, culture, and well-being. Read more about other staff benefits.
- Development and career options of the big organization.
- Work that matters and a workplace that promotes flexibility and work-life balance. Read more about working with us.
Who are you?
We expect from you:
- Bachelor’s degree and doctoral degree in relevant discipline, such as medicine, psychology, or related fields [essential]
- Experience in the field of mental health [essential]
- Motivated and capable of working alone and with a team [essential]
- History of working with patient groups [desirable]
- Experience of helping to coordinate large scientific studies [desirable]
- Experience in writing and publishing scientific papers [desirable]
To succeed and enjoy the position, we expect from you:
- Doctoral degree in a relevant discipline, such as medicine or psychology
- Fluent in written and spoken Finnish and English
- Experience in quantitative data analysis, including use of statistical software such as STATA, R, SAS etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent general IT skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel
The positions are fixed term for 3 years 6 months as of 01.10.2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The salary will be based on the level 5 – 6 of the demand level chart for teaching and research staff of Finnish universities. The demand level depends on the experience of the Postdoctoral Researcher. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50 % of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be approx. 3 400 € per month (before taxes), and 4 000 € per month (before taxes) for the more experienced Postdoctoral Researcher.
A trial period of 6 months is applied in the positions.
How to apply?
Interested? If yes, please apply by 15.09.2023 (23:59 Finnish local time) through our recruitment system.
The application should be written in English and include the following:
- CV according to the guidelines of the Finnish National Board on Research Integrity
- List of publications according to the guidelines of the Academy of Finland
The eligible applicants fitting best in the profile expected for the position will be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified during the selection process.
We welcome applicants from different backgrounds, such as people of different ages, different genders and members of different language, cultural or minority groups.
If you have any further questions, please contact
Professor Ian Kelleher, Faculty of Medicine, Adjunct professor
or Professor Juha Veijola, Faculty of Medicine, Professor,
Type of employment: Temporary position
Contract type: Full time
First day of employment: 01.10.2023
Number of positions: 2
Full-time equivalent: 100%
Reference number: 2023/385
Last application date: 2023-09-15