University of Alberta
Competition No. – A100151662
Closing Date – Sep 08, 2023
This position is a part of the Association of the Academic Staff of the University of Alberta (AASUA).
In accordance with the Trust/Research Academic Staff Agreement this position has an approximate appointment of 2 years with a possibilty of renewal and offers a comprehensive benefits package found at Faculty & Staff Benefits and annual salary range of $75,010 to $93,778.
Location – North Campus Edmonton. This role is in-person.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Metis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Working for the Department/Faculty
The Faculty of Engineering at the University of Alberta is a leading educational innovator. Its nine programs are accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) and consist of five departments. Currently, it has over 200 Faculty Members, 4,500 undergraduate students and 1,600 graduate students, which makes the Faculty of Engineering one of the largest graduate programs on campus, with student support levels exceeding $20M/year.
By size, this makes it within the top 5% of Engineering Faculties in North America and one of the largest Faculties at the University of Alberta (3rd largest by undergraduate students, 4th largest by FTE professoriate, largest by graduate students). The Faculty of Engineering is a leading educational innovator.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering offers graduate courses and provides research facilities for well qualified students of recognized universities who wish to pursue advanced studies leading to the MEng, MSc, and PhD degrees in Mechanical Engineering. In addition, the Department offers a program in Engineering Management to graduate engineers of any discipline, leading to the MEng, MSc, and PhD degrees in Engineering Management.
Welcome to Engineering at Alberta. Take a tour.
Reporting directly to the Principal Investigator, the Hydrogen Production Research Associate will provide engineering services in a laboratory environment including product development, technology research, testing, prototype production, project management, and development of new experiments and associated apparatuses. The individual in this position will consult with internal and external partners of current and prospective research projects to advise on design goals, project milestones, and project timelines. While most aspects of work require the employee to work independently, the employee is expected to be able to work as part of a team when necessary.
Major responsibilities of the employee include designing prototype devices, procurement of components and materials for prototypes and experimental apparatuses, development of experimental procedures, data analysis and mathematical modling, report writing, and communicating results to partners and the scientific community. The employee will manage the current project and ensure timely achievement of planned milestones. Additionally, the individual will maintain laboratory equipment as required.
- Designs, builds and uses apparatuses for specialized studies of Hydrogen Production
- Identifies specialized materials and their manufacturing limits for unique applications in prototypes Performs all required maintenance on experimental equipment and measurement devices
- Conducts data analysis and interpretation, then positions results with observations made by others in peer- reviewed literature
- Develops mathematical models to describe observed physical phenomena based on theory
- Communicates results of experimental work to the academic community through peer-reviewed journal articles and conference presentations
- Prepares data for related patent applications
- Maintains a broad and current understanding of literature, especially as it pertains to Hydrogen Production Project Management
- Schedules and implements project plans including construction of experimental apparatuses, experimental testing programs, and reporting timelines
- Monitors completion of project plans and adjusts workflow to meet project deadlines
- Communicates progress and results of experimental work on an ongoing basis to the Principal Investigator, prepares and presents monthly progress reports to clients through formal and informal channels
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field
- Three years’ experience working in a research laboratory, preferably in an engineering role with specialization in Hydrogen production
- Expertise or experience conducting research experiments, including data acquisition, analysis, and reporting Demonstrated ability to design systems for experimental measurements with particular attention to measurement range, sensitivity, and repeatability
- Proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office Suite, data analysis programs and computer-aided design software
- Familiarity with current Hydrogen Production literature
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience with MATLAB and SolidWorks is an advantage
- Training in WHMIS, chemical safety, and laboratory safety
As part of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program requirements, the university must conduct recruitment efforts to hire Canadians and permanent residents before offering a job to a temporary foreign worker. To ensure we remain in compliance with these regulations, please include the appropriate statement in your application “I am a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident” or “I am not a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident”.
How to Apply
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight MST of the closing date.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Metis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4476198
|تصنيف الوظيفة||Enseignement et recherche scientifique|