The University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland (SUPSI) has opened one full-time (100%) position for a Ph.D. student in generative AI for robotic systems at the Department of Innovative Technologies (DTI), located in the USI-SUPSI Campus in Lugano-Viganello, within the Institute Dalle Molle Institute for Artificial Intelligence (IDSIA). Contract will start on November 1st, 2023, or the date to be agreed upon.
- Research activity in the field of generative AI for robotic applications (e.g., task learning by generating video demonstrations)
- Implementation of machine learning and control algorithms for robotic systems.
- Participate in fundamental and applied research projects.
- Write scientific papers for journals and conference proceedings, project deliverables, and internal reports.
- Present research findings to a wide audience, including conferences, workshops and project review meetings.
- Engage in teaching and tutoring students.
- Master’s degree in computer science engineering, control engineering, mechanical engineering, mechatronics, informatics, or related fields, already obtained or close to completion.
- Background in machine learning and robotics.
- High motivation and commitment for research and publishing at top-ranked conferences and journals
- Strong programming skills, with familiarity in Python, C++ and ROS.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Good organizational skills, ability to work independently, plan the work steps, and be proactive on schedule.
- Ability to work in a team and with colleagues and other members of the Institute and engage in scientific dialogue.
- Interest in teaching and tutoring students.
- Experience in projects involving Python and/or C++.
- Knowledge of deep learning frameworks such as PyTorch and Tensorflow.
- Fixed-term employment contract.
- Fully-funded Ph.D. at the Università della Svizzera Italiana (USI).
- Stimulating and international workplace at IDSIA USI-SUPSI in the new campus in Lugano-Viganello (Switzerland), and access to the facilities of the robotics lab at IDSIA.
- Attractive salary in line with Swiss standards.
- Covering the costs of participation in high-profile conferences, and workshops.
The requirements for this function are published in the “SUPSI Internal Guidelines” and in the “SUPSI Staff Regulations” available on the “Official Documents” page”.
For further information, please contact:
Applicants should submit the following documents, written in English:
- Motivation letter (1-2 pages).
- Curriculum vitae with publications list (if any) and a link to the Master thesis.
- List of courses and grades of bachelor’s and master’s degrees (transcript of records).
- List of (at least) two references (with e-mail addresses).
Applications will be considered only if submitted electronically within September 30th, 2023, through the appropriate form.
Applications that are incomplete, submitted to other addresses, or submitted beyond the deadline will be not accepted.