It consists of three subprojects with one PhD position in each of them:
1) Religious Musicking at Night
2) Secular Musicking at Night
3) Addressing the Night in Theatrical Music
- You hold an M.A. degree in Musicology or expect to complete the degree by spring 2024. Your M.A. thesis needs to have been graded before October 2023.
- Knowledge of and a keen interest in early music.
- Interest in interdisciplinary and international collaboration.
- You are results-oriented, have a good command of English (other languages are desirable) and good writing skills.
- If applicable, willingness to acquire German language skills is expected.
- Demonstrable research experience, for instance, in the form of a research assistantship, will be considered an advantage.
- Collaboration in the NightMuse research group, contributions to its core topics.
- Independent research and further academic qualification (doctorate/PhD thesis to be written in either German or English).
- Research and conference trips.
- Collaboration on joint publications.
- Involvement in the organisation of international workshops and conferences.
- Employment for 1.0 FTE (4-year contract). Salary is between 47’000 and 50’000 CHF brutto per year (yearly increases).
- Collaboration in a committed, international and appreciative team.
- Family-friendly work.
- Affiliation with one of Switzerland’s leading institutes for Musicology with a strong research profile for early music.
- Connection to one of the most vibrant early music landscapes in Europe.
- Place of work is Basel (compulsory residence).
Application / Contact
- Letter of motivation explaining why you want to conduct your PhD in the NightMuse project in Basel
- Proposal for your research within the project (max. 2 pages)
- Writing sample (e.g., your M.A. thesis)
- Names and contact information of two references, one of which should be your M.A. thesis supervisor. (Please do not add any letters of recommendation.)
- Full transcript of grades obtained at BA and MA level.
If you want to apply, please request the project description first by writing to email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is 15 October 2023.
Starting date between 1 February and 1 May 2024.