Aalto University is a dynamic community that brings together the realms of science, art, technology, and business. We are dedicated to identifying and addressing significant societal challenges while fostering innovation for a better future. With six schools, over 11,000 students, and a staff of more than 4,000 (including 400 professors), Aalto University thrives on collaboration and multidisciplinary approaches. Our campus is situated in Otaniemi, approximately 10 km west of Helsinki city centre in Finland. We value diversity as an integral part of our identity and actively strive to ensure inclusivity within our community. As such, we warmly welcome qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join us in our pursuit of excellence.
The Department of Built Environment seeks practical solutions to address the needs of a society that requires sustainable asset management, efficient water and waste management, sufficient water resources, reliable and safe transportation, and accurate geographic data. Through intelligent spatial planning, we aim to create built environments that effectively meet the requirements of habitation, business, and mobility.
We invite applications for the position of
Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor position in Water and Wastewater Engineering
We are seeking ambitious and enthusiastic individuals for a full-time tenure track position in the field of Water and Wastewater Engineering. This Assistant or Associate Professor position will be within the Aalto University tenure track system: https://www.aalto.fi/en/tenure-track/tenure-track-career-path
The position and our expectations
The position is open at the Water and environmental engineering research group, Department of Built Environment under School of Engineering. Our goal is to find solutions to tackle resource scarcity and ensure a more sustainable future. The group’s research and teaching focus on water and development, water governance, water resources management, environmental hydraulics and fluvial processes, and water and wastewater engineering.
We are looking for an ambitious professional to contribute to ground-breaking academic work in the field of water supply and sanitation. The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Have strong expertise in one or several of the following fields: sustainable drinking water treatment solutions for boreal climate conditions, asset management, resource efficiency of water distribution and wastewater collection systems, and climate change adaptation in water services.
- Participate in teaching water engineering, process and network design basics at both the BSc and MSc (under WAT Master’s programme) levels. Important topics for our curriculum include sustainable water supply and sanitation, network management and maintenance, as well as utility management.
- Initiate research projects on water supply and sanitation, such as integrated urban water system management, natural organic matter treatment (related to drinking water solutions), and critical asset prioritization methods.
- Lead a research group, educate doctoral students, and produce high-quality research that can be published in peer-reviewed journals.
- Disseminate research results and contribute to the progress of the school and department, enhance its international visibility, and engage with the society.
- Be willing and able to collaborate with different industrial and public service sectors, as well as colleagues both at Aalto University and across the global community. Existing networks will be seen positively when reviewing applicants.
A doctoral degree in Water and Wastewater Engineering or a related field is a prerequisite for the position. Well-demonstrated collaboration skills and an excellent command of English are essential. The evaluation of applicants will be based on their excellence and future potential in scientific research and teaching, as well as their active role within national and global industries and the international science community.
Scientific awards and recognitions, along with experience in acquiring and applying for funding, preferably academic competitive funding, are considered important advantages. Interdisciplinary research activities, roles in research organizations, pedagogical studies, student supervision, and cooperation with industry and public sector are also considered advantageous.
What we offer
Aalto University offers the opportunity to work within a well-resourced learning community where students are rigorously selected and highly motivated. According to our strategy, Aalto University aims to shape a sustainable future through research-based knowledge, creativity, and an entrepreneurial mindset. Our values are responsibility, courage, and collaboration.
As one part of the Aalto Industry and Innovation Infrastructure (3I), the Water and environmental engineering research group offers a tripod state-of-the-art water research infrastructure, including high-quality water laboratory facilities (chemistry, microbiology, treatment, environmental hydraulics), adjacent field work/water utilities opportunities, and computational support staffed by professionals.
Salary will be defined according to Aalto University’s payroll system, taking into account the applicant’s experience and qualifications, but a salary request can be provided. In addition to the salary, Aalto University provides its employees with occupational healthcare services. Also, a starting package can be negotiated with the Dean.
Finland offers a safe and healthy environment for living, with excellent state-subsidized services including affordable day care, healthcare, and free schools that are ranked among the best in the world. Finland has consistently been ranked as the happiest country in the world for the past five years according to the UN study in 2022. We are one of the world’s most reliable and stable nations, with a high level of safety. With significant investments in R&D, a strong innovation culture, open data, and advanced digitalization, we are a nation of innovation and entrepreneurship.
The Nordic values of equality and cooperation are deeply rooted in our society. Gender equality, flexibility, and low hierarchy form the core of our Nordic working environment. For more information about living and working in Finland, please visit: https://www.aalto.fi/en/careers-at-aalto/for-international-staff.
Ready to apply?
If you want to join our community, please submit your application through our recruitment system by September 30th, 2023.
(If you are already an employee at Aalto, please apply via our internal system Workday -> Find Jobs.) Please use your existing Workday user account.
The application material for the position must consist of the following documents:
- Cover letter – addressed to Dean of the School of Engineering, including a summary of merits, most important achievements, and motivation for this position (max 2 pages).
- Curriculum vitae – including contact information, following the structure given by Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity: https://tenk.fi/en/advice-and-materials/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae (max 2 pages)
- Complete list of publications – with up to ten most important publications marked
- Research work portfolio – including a plan for future research in the position (max 5 pages)
- Teaching portfolio – including a plan for future teaching in the position. Please follow the instructions given at: https://www.aalto.fi/en/tenure-track/interested-in-joining-our-tenure-track
- Five most important publications as full text pdf, authored or co-authored by the applicant
These documents must be combined, in the given order, into a single .pdf file and attached to the online application.
All material should be submitted in English. The material will not be returned. Applications, including a single .pdf file consisting of the required application material listed above, must be submitted online through the electronic recruitment system of Aalto University no later than September 30th, 2023 (before midnight Finnish time).
A link to the recruitment system can be found at the end of this job advertisement via the text “Apply now”. The general instructions and evaluation criteria for applicants, including language requirements and guidelines for compiling the application material, are given online as well: https://www.aalto.fi/en/tenure-track/interested-in-joining-our-tenure-track.
Aalto University will use external reviewers to support the evaluation of applicants during the recruitment process. Based on the application materials and external evaluations, the Departmental Committee will choose the most suitable applicants to visit the Department of Built Environment and deliver teaching demonstrations.
For more Information
For additional information, please contact Associate Professor Matti Kummu, firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions related to the recruitment process, please contact HR Advisor Kirsi Kärkkäinen, email@example.com.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
Tenure track in Aalto University
The tenure track is open to talented individuals who have excellent potential for a scientific career. Individuals placed on the Aalto University professorial tenure track have the possibility to advance in their career through regular performance assessments, which take into account their merits in all areas of their scope of duty. Launched only in 2010, the tenure track has attracted a wide range of international applicants, giving Aalto University the possibility of recruiting top experts and young research talent to join the Aalto University community.
More about Aalto University:
|Job Category||Enseignement et recherche scientifique|