Job title: Assistant University Registrar (Student Services)
Organizational Unit: Registry
Duty Station: Malmö, Sweden
Duration of contract: Two-year fixed-term appointment. Further renewals may be given subject to satisfactory performance.
1. Organizational setting
The World Maritime University (WMU) is a postgraduate education and research university established in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), a specialized agency of the United Nations. WMU offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Professional Development Courses (PDCs) with the highest standards in maritime and ocean education and training. The degrees taught in Malmö were accredited by the Government of Sweden with effect from 1 January 2022, and managing the continuing impact of this change is a very high priority for the University and the University Registry.
2. Main purpose
Working independently under the delegated responsibility of the University Registrar, the Assistant University Registrar is responsible for all aspects of student activity that impinge on a successful learning environment outside the classroom. All aspects of the University Registry’s work are supported by the student information system Tribal EBS, and in all activities the postholder will be extracting information from, and inputting information to, each student record.
The University is currently working to ensure that its Quality Assurance systems meet both the requirements of Swedish higher education legislation and the established practice at Swedish universities. The Assistant University Registrar is responsible for all Quality Assurance processes, including collating student feedback and extracting meaningful reports from the raw data, writing summary reports to the President and the Academic Council, the management of the External Examiner system, serving as Secretary to the Quality Assurance Committee, and the development of these systems as the University moves forward.
The postholder is also required to work closely with the fellowship donors and funding agencies that support students financially while at WMU. This will include writing confidential report, arranging donor field-study visits and arranging special events at WMU for the donors. This includes taking a leading role at the annual graduation ceremonies.
The incumbent is charged with providing an environment where students are not distracted from achieving their study goals and intended learning outcomes. The postholder is required to work extensively with host-country government agencies (including health, immigration, police and tax authorities) and with service providers such as banks. The incumbent manages the payment of monthly student allowances and return travel after graduation, health insurance and healthcare systems, and the design, development and implementation of information programmes and services to students.
3. Working relationships
Internal contacts: The incumbent interacts with:
- all students;
- faculty and staff at senior levels on quality assurance issues;
- faculty and staff at all levels.
External contacts: The incumbent liaises with
- donors and sponsors at high and medium levels to provide information services about the university, student progress, provision of support during fellowship donors’ visits to the University, including the coordination of donor events at the University;
- the University’s External Examiners;
- represents the University and individual students with Swedish immigration, health care, police and taxation authorities, the international health insurance system and other service providers;
- graduates in support of the approved alumni liaison strategy.
4. Duties, responsibilities
The Assistant University Registrar is required, under the supervision of the University Registrar, to be engaged in:
Quality Assurance and Audit:
- the development and enhancement of the University’s quality assurance system, especially in the light of Swedish accreditation, and its legal framework;
- the design and implementation of the student evaluation of academic programmes and the planning of the evaluation process, and the extraction of polished reports from the raw data;
- the analysis of evaluation data, providing regular quantitative and qualitative reports to the President, Vice-President (Academic) the Academic Dean and the Quality Assurance Committee;
- all organization of the annual visit of the University’s External Examiners, and developing a programme in consultation with senior members of Faculty;
- the preparation of agendas, reports and minutes of the Quality Assurance Committee, and taking the necessary action to implement decisions.
- supplying donors with information and reports, draft articles for donor publications;
- attending/accompanying students at donor-sponsored events and field trips;
- the support of donor visits to the University including arranging donor-sponsored events at the University, especially around Graduation;
- playing a significant role in the Graduation ceremonies.
Student support and services:
- the design, implementation and organization of induction programmes for incoming students, supported by the design, development and maintenance of the student services information website;
- the management of student health insurance and reimbursement claims, and ensuring payment is made;
- the management of the payment of monthly allowances to students, including auctioning all deductions and variations;
- the arrangement of students’ return travel on completion of study;
- advising students with non-academic problems and referring them to the necessary Swedish agencies.
Publications and Communication:
The drafting/compilation and timely production of the following publications:
- Fees and Facilities
- Health Care for WMU Students
- WMU Yearbook
Other tasks as required by the President or University Registrar.
5. Requirements – education, experience and language skills
- First-level university degree in a relevant discipline. Desirable
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant discipline. Experience
- A minimum of five years’ progressively responsible experience in higher education administration, including Quality Assurance and student services;
- An extensive understanding and knowledge of the Quality Assurance systems used in Swedish higher education;
- Experience of dealing with relevant Swedish authorities.
- Experience of financial monitoring of payments to students;
- Experience within the UN common system.
- A high level of fluency in spoken and written English.
- A high level of fluency in spoken and written Swedish
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
6. Knowledge and skills
- Extensive knowledge of issues of accreditation and Quality Assurance;
- A high level of IT skills, including student information management systems, spreadsheets, publications software, and other standard programmes;
- Proven ability to interact well in a multicultural environment;
- High degree of professionalism and the ability to apply discretion and sound judgement;
- Proven ability to work independently, managing multiple tasks with good time-management skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, to a diverse range of audiences in an international academic community;
- The ability to work in a collaborative and supportive way;
- Ability to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Knowledge of Microsoft SSRS would be an advantage.
WMU is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. WMU recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds or disabilities.
WMU seeks to increase the number of women at all levels and, therefore, qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
The position offers an attractive salary (P-3 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Applicants must fill in the Personal History form, which can be found at https://www.wmu.se/docs/personal-history-form, and should send a letter of interest, a complete CV, and the contact information of three referees to Marco Batista, Head of Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadline for Applications: 30 September 2023.
|Job Category||Enseignement et recherche scientifique|