Laser and electron beam processes such as welding, heating and additive manufacturing are important in the materials and manufacturing industry. Fundamental understanding and the ability to control these processes to control the microstructures and properties of structural materials is therefore an important enabler for innovative materials and manufacturing processes. However, basic understanding can be difficult to develop for these often very rapid processes that are difficult to characterize. With synchrotron light, however, it is possible to follow the processes in real time and in this project we intend to develop a platform for laser and electron beam processes at the PETRA III synchrotron light source. There we should be able to study these processes in real time with diffraction and imaging and relate them to advanced modelling.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Work in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- The possibility to collaborate with industry as well as with national and international academic partners.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree within Materials Science, Metallurgy or a related area. This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- Excellent English skills, written and spoken, since it is required in the daily work
- Research expertise in metallurgy
- Experience in additive manufacturing
- Experience in materials characterization
- Experience in materials modelling
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency, such as:
- Research expertise
- Teaching abilities
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
- Collaborative abilities
- Independence Communicative and a team player
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
To apply for the position
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply for this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more here
Type of employment: Temporary position
Contract type: Full time
First day of employment: According to agreement
Salary: Monthly salary
Number of positions: 1
Full-time equivalent: 100%
County: Stockholms län
Reference number: M-2023-1448
- Peter Hedström, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last application date: 2023-08-24