University of Galway
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
European Union / Next Generation EU
- Reference Number
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Applications are invited from suitable candidates for two full-time, fixed-term, 18-month contract positions as postdoctoral researchers with the Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics at the University of Galway.
The position is part-funded through the Insight Centre for Data Analytics, Adra-e, and DSSC projects funded by the European Union. This position is highly interdisciplinary as it supports the advancement of Data Spaces and AI in Europe on an unprecedented scale with a European approach to data sharing and AI that optimizes economic benefits combined with European values.
The postdoctoral researchers will be expected to perform research and development in the area of data sharing, data space, and AI within an established group of researchers and PhD students with expertise in data and knowledge engineering, data analytics and large-scale data processing, as well as a long tradition of applying this expertise in various domains, including healthcare, education, sustainability, smart cities, privacy and digital humanities.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape the data and AI landscape within Europe, establish principles for and develop tools to support best practices for data spaces, AI and support stakeholder awareness and education. You will participate in cross-consortium meetings with academic and industry project partners and engage within external events with stakeholders in the European Data and AI Ecosystems.
The successful candidates will be based in the Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics at the University of Galway. The candidates will be supported in their professional development, be able to avail of a range of career level focussed training opportunities, have the potential to publish research findings in leading journals and international events.
The successful candidates will be expected to:
- Conduct a programme of research at the intersection of data spaces and AI.
- Establish principles and tools to support best practices for data spaces and AI in collaboration with the European data and AI communities.
- Working with the team/independently to develop a proof of concept for validating research ideas/outcomes.
- Bring fresh ideas and creative approaches to solving complex research challenges.
- The project will involve international travel to consortium meetings and presentations of research at international conferences.
- Produce top-quality journal and conference publications in collaboration with students and PIs.
- Assist in the attraction of funding.
- Provide support and advice to PhD students working on similar topics.
- Assist the Principal Investigator in overseeing software and system development for various projects in the area of data spaces and AI.
- Design and implementation of industrial prototype demonstrators.
- Participate in Centre activities, including industry showcases, annual reviews and industry and agency visits.
- PhD Degree in computer science, information systems, or a closely related discipline.
- A proven track record of research performance, including publication and dissemination of results and collaborations.
- Expertise in technical aspects related to data spaces and AI.
- Hands-on experience in developing proof of concept (PoC) using an advanced programming language such as Python or Java.
- Excellent communication and analytical skill.
- Any other duties assigned commensurate to this level of post.
- Experience in research projects and academic-Industrial research collaborations.
- Expertise in related areas including data platforms, architectures, data ecosystem, artificial intelligence, deep learning, knowledge graphs, linked data, or event processing.
- Previous experience working on European Union (EU) projects will be an advantage.
Salary: Postdoctoral Researcher Pay scale €42,032 – €54,153 per annum, (subject to the project’s funding limitations), and pro rata for shorter and/or part-time contracts. Default position for all new public sector appointments is the 1st point of the salary scale. This may be reviewed, and consideration afforded to appointment at a higher point on the payscale, where evidence of prior years’ equivalent experience is accepted in determining placement on the scale above point 1, subject to the maximum of the scale.
Start date: The position is available immediately.
Continuing Professional Development/Training:
Researchers at University of Galway are encouraged to avail of a range of training and development opportunities designed to support their personal career development plans. University of Galway provides continuing professional development supports for all researchers seeking to build their own career pathways either within or beyond academia. Researchers are encouraged to engage with our Researcher Development Centre (RDC) upon commencing employment – see HERE for further information.
Further information on research and working at University of Galway is available on Research at University of Galway