„The Kurata Grants“ is a research fund for the advancement of science and technology in Japan proposed by and established with a donation from the second President of Hitachi, Ltd., the late Chikara Kurata, in 1967. By 2022, we had presented a total of 2.5 billion JPY in grants to 1,570 researchers. Many of the recipients have made great achievements and are active at the forefront of their fields as researchers and educators.
While upholding the ideals of the late Chikara Kurata, we currently offer grants to research in the natural sciences, engineering, humanities, and the social sciences related to highly technological societies carried out by the next generation of researchers working to solve global social problems. We are contributing to the realization of a future sustainable society.
- Researchers who belong to universities and their affiliated research facilities, research institutions, and technical colleges in Japan (excluding researchers affiliated with corporations). Graduate students are eligible to apply.
- A letter of recommendation from the head of the institution of affiliation (Chancellor, President, Dean of graduate school, Dean of faculty, Director, Research Institute Head, immediate superior, etc.) is required. There is no limitation on the number of recommendations.
- There are no restrictions regarding nationality. However, grants are limited to researchers who reside in Japan and are expected to have a research base in Japan continuously until the end of the research period.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering: must be 45 or younger as of April 1 in the application year.
Humanities and Social Sciences: no age restrictions.
|Category||Natural Sciences and Engineering||Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Research Area||Creative and pioneering research by young researchers (age of 45 or under) which contributes to the solution of social challenges from an international perspective. Applications can be made in the three areas below and specific examples can be found in the separate Application Guidelines.
An interdisciplinary research from a natural sciences and engineering perspective in these fields is also eligible.
|The following types of research are eligible that analyzing societal transformations brought about by advances in science and technology and the background of the complex and interconnected issues from the perspective of humanities and social sciences (society, literature, history, philosophy, ethics, law, economy, psychology, culture/art, and etc.) and exploring the meaning and value of the development of science and technology. The Application Guidelines provide examples of eligible research.
(Research utilizing science and technology as a method is not eligible.)
|Grant Amount||(One Year Grants)
Maximum of 1,000,000 JPY per grant
(Two Year Grants)
Maximum of 3,000,000 JPY per grant
|800,000 to 1,000,000 JPY per grant|
|Number of Grants||(One Year Grants) around 30 per year
(Two Year Grants) around 5 per year
|around 10 per year|
|Research Period||One or two years (selected during application)||One year|
Direct expenses for achieving a research objective. However, the following expenses are excluded.
- Indirect expenses for maintaining the general research environment of the affiliated institution
- Personnel costs corresponding to the wages of the principal and collaborating researchers
A selection committee of outside experts will conduct a review based on the submitted documents.
Applications can be made online via an open call.
Please download the application guidelines and application documents from the relevant web page and make your application using the dedicated application form. Applications sent via post will not be accepted.
[Documents Required for Application]
(1) Application form (research plan)
(2) Recommendation letter
(3) Published articles by the applicant as a reference for the review process(maximum three)
|Job Category||Prix, Concours et offres|