Closing Date: October 13, 2023
Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador invites applications from exceptional leaders for the position of Dean, Faculty of Business Administration. Located in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Memorial University is an inclusive intellectual community dedicated to innovation and excellence in teaching and learning, research, scholarship, creative activity, service, and public engagement. We acknowledge that the lands on which Memorial University’s campuses are situated are in the traditional territories of diverse Indigenous groups, and we acknowledge with respect the diverse histories and cultures of the Beothuk, Mi’kmaq, Innu, and Inuit of this province.
The Faculty of Business Administration at Memorial University is a leading Canadian business school that celebrates impactful research, teaching excellence and the student experience at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. As the only business school in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, our opportunity to have both local, provincial, national, and global impact is unparalleled. Our tradition of innovation and leadership inspires and guides everything that we do. We were the first business school in Canada to launch a co-operative undergraduate business degree, which then became the first co-operative business degree in Canada to receive national accreditation. In 2002, we became the first business school in
Atlantic Canada to achieve international accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), a mark of excellence among business schools worldwide. In 2018, we created Canada’s first MBA in social enterprise and entrepreneurship (MBA-SEE), putting us on the leading edge of an important emerging sector of the provincial and national economy. We’re recognized as a leader in Canadian business education and in research, with two research chairs, including a Canada Research Chair (Tier 1) in Social Enterprise, as well as one teaching chair in financial management education. Our faculty publish in top tier and high-quality niche-specific journals and conduct societally impactful research that helps fulfill Memorial’s special obligation to build a better future for our province, our country, and the world. We have over 2700 full- and part-time students enrolled in bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate programs.
At Gardiner Centre, our award-winning professional development hub, thousands of professionals from over 400 organizations pursue executive education each year, and through our Centre for Social Enterprise and Memorial Centre for Entrepreneurship, we’re helping to prepare business and organizational leaders across all segments of society.
The Dean will report to the provost and vice-president (academic) and is the chief academic and administrative officer of the Faculty of Business Administration. The Dean will be a thoughtful and compassionate leader who has the capacity to lead the advancement of scholarly research and teaching excellence and is committed to an exceptional student experience. The Dean will be the primary champion and advocate for the Faculty of Business Administration in terms of fundraising and connections to the community, and the point person to support faculty, staff, and students. As a committed and strategic leader, the Dean will provide courageous and collaborative leadership in all areas of the Faculty’s activities in teaching and learning, research, and engagement, in view of Memorial’s strategic plans and frameworks, notably Transforming Our Horizons, the Strategic Framework for Indigenization, and the Strategic Plan for EDI-AR, which is currently in development.
The Dean will lead an administrative team that includes an Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs and Accreditation, an Associate Dean of Graduate Programs and Research, a Director of the Gardiner Centre, and a dedicated group of managers and staff. The Dean will be a member of the Academic Leadership Council at Memorial University and a member of the Association of Business Deans within Canada.
- The Dean will collaborate, engage, and lead the Faculty of Business Administration by promoting a positive work culture whereby excellence in research, teaching, service, and engagement is championed.
- The Dean will be a research leader for the Faculty of Business Administration by fostering an environment that celebrates meaningful scholarship, identifies and supports research funding opportunities, and champions a diversity of thought and perspectives.
- As a transparent and trustworthy leader, the Dean will also champion the student experience by providing oversight and direction for all undergraduate and graduate programming in the Faculty of Business Administration via leadership and collaboration with faculty, staff, and students.
- The Dean will provide thoughtful leadership in supporting the innovation, collaboration, and interdisciplinarity in the championing or revising existing programming and the creation of new programming, while fostering a culture of teaching excellence.
- The Dean will be an advocate for the students, staff, and faculty of the Faculty of Business Administration, working to build new and deepen existing relationships with community and business leaders, Indigenous peoples, and other internal and external stakeholders that are pivotal to creating a successful learning culture.
- The Dean will be capable of articulating a clear vision to recruit and maintain a diverse group of students, staff, and faculty, while simultaneously communicating that vision to the broader community to attract resources and secure funding that will enable student, staff, and faculty retention and success.
- Via consultative leadership, the Dean will oversee the financial budget requirements of the Faculty of Business Administration while actively engaging in fundraising and partnership opportunities that support research and teaching excellence.
- As a forward-thinking leader, the Dean will work to deepen the Faculty of Business Administration relationships internally within the university and externally with community stakeholders that are key to facilitating partnerships for the success of the Faculty of Business Administration and the province.
The successful candidate will hold a PhD or professional graduate degree, or comparable terminal degree in business administration. They will have a successful record of teaching, research, and service commensurate with the rank of a tenured associate or full professor. They will have an excellent reputation amongst business communities and capable of serving as a liaison between the Faculty of Business Administration and the community. They should have significant academic leadership experience, such as previous experience as a department chair, program director, associate dean, dean, or other academic or administrative leadership role, or similar proven transferrable skills. Candidates should have a proven capacity to advocate, build trust, collaborate, engage, and lead. They should be familiar with current research standards and trends in the field of business administration. Candidates should have experience with managing co-operative education programs and executive education centers. They will have demonstrated success in supporting academic productivity, strategic planning, budget management, and entrepreneurial resource allocation.
To explore this opportunity further and to apply, please visit https://careers.mun.ca/academic/apply/advertisements/4416
Características del Puesto
|Categoría de Puesto||Enseignement et recherche scientifique|