Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
Do you want to know more about LIST? Check our website: https://www.list.lu/
Discover our Environmental Research and Innovation department: ERIN Department
How will you contribute?
You will join the Environmental Sustainability Assessment and Circularity (SUSTAIN) Unit of ERIN. SUSTAIN develops knowledge, transferable (software) technologies, practical methods and outreach activities for the simulation and comprehensive sustainability assessment of societal systems. Its final purpose is to foster sustainable eco-innovation, through products and technologies, as well as support sustainability-oriented policy implementation and behavioural change to promote decarbonisation transitions.
Within the SUSTAIN Unit, you will be incorporated in the Life Cycle Sustainability Analysis (LCSA) research group. The group consists of ca. 25 researchers with a broad range of expertise and diverse cultural backgrounds, and united by the common purpose of supporting the sustainability transition. The group develops sustainability metrics and indicators, to assess the environmental and social impacts of products, technologies, territories and policies, for both industrial organisations and policy makers.
The triple planetary crisis (climate change, pollution & biodiversity loss) is spurring us to consider and evaluate biobased systems and products. For this PhD position, the focus is on certain biofuel and food alternatives. These still have considerable impacts on the environment and their respective environmental impacts should be better estimated, to guide decision-making. Hereto life cycle methods shall be improved and applied. More precisely, in this PhD project, the first goal is to further develop life cycle methods with regard to dynamic modelling over time of their inventories and impact, e.g. CO2 flows are spread over time for biobased systems, and finetune consequential modelling, in particular land use modelling and competition between food and fuel for these. The second overall aim of your PhD is to apply the developed methodologies to two cases, one on a novel biofuel, and one on legumes, taking into account as well their competition for land. In practice, during the course of your PhD, you will be working on various projects funded in the framework of Horizon Europe.
- Research Field
- Environmental science » Other
- Education Level
- Master Degree or equivalent
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
Master’s degree in environmental engineering, environmental economics or environmental science or equivalent.
Experience and skills
- proven organizational skills and interdisciplinary thinking.
- a problem-solving mind-set
- a strong team-working capability
- able to work in autonomy and creatively.
NICE TO HAVE
- Knowledge of commercial LCA software
- Knowledge of a programming language (Python preferred)
- Previous experience in writing scientific reports and articles
- Proven knowledge and business experience in Sustainability Assessment, in particular applying Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Flawless knowledge of English (both spoken and written) is required.
- Knowledge of German and/or French and/or Luxembourgish is considered as an asset.
- Research Field
- Environmental science » Other
- Years of Research Experience
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations in all that we do
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 50 nationalities represented in our workforce
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science
- 32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance
- Flexible working hours, home working policy and access to lunch vouchers
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience
- A scientific CV with contact details
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable)
- Contact details of 2 references
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above
Candidates shall be available for starting their position at the latest on March 2024. Please note the universities costs are at the charge of the student.
- Website for additional job details
Características del Puesto
|Categoría de Puesto||Doctorat|