The University of Luxembourg is seeking to hire a highly motivated and outstanding researcher in the area of machine learning optimization for physical layer applied to satellite communications in its Interdisciplinary Centre of Security and Trust (SnT), within the Signal Processing and Communications (SigCom) research group, led by Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas.
SnT carries out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) systems and services, often in collaboration with governmental, industrial and international partners. SnT is active in several national projects funded by National Research Fund (FNR) and local industries, and international research projects funded by the EU FP7 programme, H2020 programme, and the European Space Agency (ESA). For further information, you may check: www.securityandtrust.lu
The SigCom research group carries out research activities in the areas of signal processing for wireless communication systems, including satellite and 5G/6G communications. It is expanding its research activities to explore several emerging use cases of next-generation wireless communications systems. For details, you may refer to the following: https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/sigcom
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
This is a fully funded postdoc position for 2 years within an ESA project (TANNDEM-Demodulator based on Artificial Neural Network). Therefore, the objectives of the postdoc are defined in accordance with the TANNDEM directions toward reducing complexity and resources in the receiver, as well as increasing the performance for integrating satellites on 5G networks. More precisely, the work aims at designing artificial neural networks for different functionalities in the physical layer.
The successful candidate will work under the academic supervision of Dr. Jorge Querol (University of Luxembourg) and join a strong and motivated research team led by Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas.
The successful candidates are expected to perform the following tasks:
- Optimize 5G New Radio (NR) with waveform based on orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) and its evolution for satellite communication (Satcom) applications
- Design machine learning models to reduce the computational complexity and power consumption of several physical layer processing blocks of the receiver, such as decoding, channel estimation, and demodulation
- Ensure the ML models reduce the complexity while maintaining satisfactory performance in terms of throughput and bit-error-rate
- Identify the most suitable metrics to evaluate the machine learning models considering the system performance
- Implementing and developing a software and/or hardware testing environment to compare and evaluate the proposed techniques and architectures
- Disseminating results through scientific publications and conferences
- Contribute to the different research projects, either coordinating technical contributions and/or preparing project deliverables
- Preparing new research proposals to attract industrial, national, and European projects
- Eventually providing assistance in the supervision of PhD students
- A PhD degree in Telecommunication Engineering, or Electrical Engineering or Computer Science/engineering with a focus on wireless communications and AI/ML tools and methods
- Experience in signal processing for wireless communications algorithms. Especially strong knowledge of the physical layer (tasks such as decoding, demodulation, and estimation)
- Background in optimization theory
- Experience using machine learning to solve/improve physical layer processing tasks, especially decoding
- Practical experience in using FPGA accelerators such as Versal to train/evaluate AI/ML models
- Sound publication track record in relevant international conferences and top journals in the following research areas (at least one IEEE Transaction publication is mandatory)
- Strong programming skills in MATLAB, Python/TensorFlow/Sionna. Others, like C/C++, are a plus but not mandatory
- International experience is desirable
- Experience working with industrial or public-funded research projects is highly desirable
- Highly committed, excellent team worker, and strong critical thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Here’s what awaits you at SnT…
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 55 industry partners
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month (which may be extended up to five years)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Kirchberg
- Job Reference: UOL05980
The yearly gross salary for every Postdoctoral Researcher at the UL is EUR 81072 (full time)
How to apply…
Applications should include:
- Curriculum Vitae, including:
- Contact address
- For each degree received or currently enrolled in, provide the degree, insitution nam, institution city and country, and start/end date (or expected date) of graduation. Include the title and short summary of your PhD Thesis and supervisor name (and Bachelor / Master Thesis if you did one)
- If you do not have yet received your PhD but will do soon, please include a tentative graduation date
- List of publications (authors, title, journal/conference name and date of publication). Provide a link in case of open access
- Name, affiliation and contact details of three referees
- Cover letter with motivations and topics of particular interest to the candidate (approx. 1 page)
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by Email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg…
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
|تصنيف الوظيفة||Enseignement et recherche scientifique|