The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Sociology in the Faculty of Social Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Sociology.
The doctoral researcher will perform research on the topic of female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/C) within Kenya. The goal of the proposed research project is to develop an in-depth understanding of why this procedure is increasingly performed by medical professionals, and how it relates to women’s level of empowerment. Both quantitative and qualitative research methods will be applied. The doctoral researcher will be stationed within the University of Antwerp, but is expected to have two research visits at the University of Nairobi, Kenya.
- You will work actively on the preparation of a PhD thesis in the field of Sociology.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Centre for Population, Family, and Health within the Department of Sociology.
- You hold a Master degree in the field of Sociology, Public Health or a related field and/or you will have obtained a degree in any of these fields by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have knowledge of and expertise in both advanced quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- You are proficient in the English language.
- You are willing to participate in several research visits in Kenya.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another two years.
- The planned start date is between May 1, 2022 and October 1, 2022.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus of the University of Antwerp in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including March 31, 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact the supervisor of this project, Prof. Sarah Van de Velde at email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
|Job Category||Internship and training, Doctorat|