The new Call for Applications for studies starting from the Academic Year 2017-2018 is now available.
- Call for Applications 2017-2018: click here to download
- Annexes of the Call for Application
- Annex 1: List of eligible study programmes determined in the educational cooperation agreements in effect between Hungary and the specific Sending Partner – click here to download
- Annex 2: List of eligible Host Institutions, study programmes, institutional language criteria and institutional methods of examinations – Please note that this annex will be available from the middle of January 2017. Until then, please see Annex 1 for the list of study programmes that can be expected to be available
- Annex 3: Statement for Application – click here to download
- The deadline for submitting the complete application package: 5st March 2017 (until 23:59 Central European Tim
Mission of the Programme
Hungary provides high quality education in the heart of Europe. Today, there is a growing demand of international students to study in Hungary. Besides the quality of education and degrees recognised throughout Europe and beyond, students are attracted by the affordable living costs with an extremely favourable cost-to-value ratio, a safe and friendly living environment with convenient public transportation, the central location of the country in Europe and the unspoiled natural beauties combined with a 2000 year-old, rich Hungarian history and several UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Hungary is also within the top countries with the highest number of scientific Nobel Prize Winners per capita, and a numerous scientific inventions from Vitamin C to Rubik’s cube and so on.
The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme was launched in 2013 by the Hungarian Government. The core mission of the programme is to increase the number of foreign students in Hungary and to encourage Hungarian higher education institutions to attract top foreign students.
The programme is based on bilateral educational cooperation agreements signed between the Ministries responsible for education in the sending countries/territories and Hungary or between institutions. Currently more than 50 Sending Partners are engaged in the programme throughout 4 different continents.
Thousands of students from all around the world apply for higher educational studies in Hungary each year. The number of Stipendium Hungaricum applicants is continuously increasing as well as the number of available scholarship places. In the academic year 2017/2018 approximately 4000 students can begin their studies in Hungary in the framework of the Stipendium Hungaricum Programme.
The Programme is managed by Tempus Public Foundation.
Available Scholarship Types
Stipendium Hungaricum scholarships are available for bachelor, master, one-tier master, doctoral and non-degree programmes (preparatory and specialisation courses).
|Duration||Qualifications at the end of programme||Available study modes|
|full time||partial||full time||partial|
|Degree programmes||Bachelor programmes||2-4 years||1 or 2 semesters||BA or BSc degree||certificate of completion||full time and partial|
|Master programmes||1.5-2 years||1 or 2 semesters||MA or MSc degree||certificate of completion||full time and partial|
|One-tier master programmes1||5-6 years||1 or 2 semesters||MA or MSc degree||certificate of completion||full time and partial|
|Doctoral programmes||2+2 years||1 or 2 semesters||doctoral degree||certificate of completion||full time and partial|
|Non-degree programmes||Preparatory course in Hungarian language||1 year||–||certificate||–||full time|
|Other preparatory and specialisation courses||up to
1 In the Hungarian education system, one-tier master programmes cover both the bachelor and the master level of studies; therefore it is an undivided master programme that results in a master degree. These one-tier programmes are offered in specific study fields such as general medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, architecture, law, veterinary surgery, forestry engineering, etc.
Provisions Covered by the Scholarship
- Tuition-free education
- exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend
- non-degree, bachelor, master and one-tier master level: monthly amount of HUF 40 460 (cca EUR 130) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140 000 (cca EUR 450) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180 000 (cca EUR 580) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies. Please see details in section 1.2.1.
- dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40 000 to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
- Medical insurance
- health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (cca EUR 205) a year/person
Eligible Sending Partners
The Stipendium Hungaricum Programme is based on effective bilateral educational cooperation agreements between the Ministry of Human Capacities of Hungary and the partner’s Ministry responsible for higher education. Applications will be considered eligible if the applicant is nominated by the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner.
For full time programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners: Arab Republic of Egypt, Argentine Republic, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Mongolia, Oriental Republic of Uruguay, Palestine, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, People’s Republic of China (including the Hudec scholarships), Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Ecuador, Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Macedonia (FYROM is used at OSCE, UN, CoE, EU and NATO fora), Republic of Moldova, Republic of Namibia, Republic of Paraguay, Republic of Serbia, Republic of South Africa, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Israel, Syrian Arab Republic, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Tunisian Republic, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Mexican States
For partial study programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners: Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Mongolia, People’s Republic of China (only Hudec applicants), Republic of Albania, Republic of Belarus, Republic of India, Republic of Korea, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Turkey, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Russian Federation, Syrian Arab Republic, United Mexican States
Please note that the programme is implemented by direct cooperation with the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner. The application does not have any additional costs, therefore we suggest you to not to apply through any agencies.
Applications will not be considered in the following cases:
- Hungarian citizens (including those with dual citizenships)
- former Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Holders, who are re-applying for studies in the same cycle of education (non-degree studies, bachelor, master, doctoral level) including both full time and partial study programmes
Please visit the Contact Us section of our website or click here.