The McDonnell International Scholars Academy fellowship program brings together a diverse group of leaders from different cultures and academic backgrounds to tackle the world’s toughest problems and create positive, lasting change.
By fostering international collaborations and partnerships, the program encourages innovative ideas and supports interdisciplinary research.
The Academy transforms its participants by helping them develop leadership skills through mentorship, professional growth, and unique opportunities. This experience builds a foundation for leaders to approach challenges with a global perspective and a sense of social responsibility.
McDonnell Scholars are chosen based on their potential to become experts in their fields, their academic distinction, global mindset, leadership qualities, and cultural competence. They receive financial support for their graduate and professional studies at Washington University in St. Louis.
Benefits of McDonnell International Scholars Academy Fellowship Programme 2024 Programme 2024
McDonnell Scholars enjoy a range of benefits as part of the fellowship, including:
- Full coverage of tuition fees.
- Monthly living stipend.
- Relocation expense allowance.
- Travel allowance.
- Opportunity to live in private, modern housing close to campus as part of a supportive cohort.
- Access to multifaceted instruction.
- Exposure to diverse cultural experiences.
- Dedicated mentorship.
- Inclusion in an expansive worldwide network of fellow students and alumni.
Who is the scholarship open to?
- The McDonnell International Scholars graduate fellowship is available for prospective graduate and professional degree students intending to join Washington University in St. Louis. This applies to those enrolling in specific full-time doctoral or master’s degree programs.
Who is Eligible for the Scholarship?
To be eligible to apply for the McDonnell International Scholars program, you must:
- Apply to an eligible WashU doctoral or master’s degree program. Keep in mind that applying to the McDonnell Academy is a separate process from applying to a graduate degree program at Washington University in St. Louis. You need to submit separate applications to both the McDonnell Academy and the WashU doctoral or master’s program.
- Have earned or plan to earn a bachelor’s degree or higher before the conclusion of the 2023-24 academic year (by July 2024). This fellowship does not apply to undergraduate studies.
- The opportunity is open to applicants from all countries. However, preference is given to international graduate candidates who are graduates of one of the Academy’s Partner Universities.
Application Process and Requirements
You have to complete the application to the McDonnell Academy online as part of your WashU graduate program application. Application to the Academy is separate from and in addition to an application to a graduate program at Washington University in St. Louis.
You have to apply separately to both the McDonnell Academy and a graduate program at Washington University in St. Louis.
Make sure you submit the following application materials by the deadline, which is January 31 at 11:59 pm CST:
- Personal Essay: Provide a personal essay as part of your application.
- Short Video: Include a brief video as part of your application.
- Recommendation Letter: Ensure that a recommendation letter is submitted on your behalf.
For more information, check out the McDonnell International Scholars Academy.