Conducting research for a changing society: This is what drives us at Forschungszentrum Jülich. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, we aim to tackle the grand societal challenges of our time and conduct research into the possibilities of a digitized society, a climate-friendly energy system, and a resource-efficient economy. Work together with around 7,250 employees in one of Europe’s biggest research centres and help us to shape change!
Achieving a secure, greenhouse gas-neutral energy supply is one of the greatest challenges of the 21stcentury. At the Institute of Energy and Climate Research – Techno-Economic Systems Analysis (IEK-3) –, we are researching how possible cost-effective transformation strategies must be designed to achieve this. Become part of our research team and contribute your ideas and creativity to help shape what a future greenhouse gas-neutral energy system could look like.
We are offering a
PhD Position – Assessment of an Innovative Process Chain for Green Hydrogen and Methanol Provision
The use of green hydrogen in certain industry sectors (e.g. chemical industry or in steelmaking) is without an alternative to reach greenhouse gas neutrality. Besides of the availability of huge amounts of renewable energy the presence of water has an essential impact on the “green hydrogen” potential, especially in dry regions like western Africa. The transformation from hydrogen to methanol can be advantageous because of its better storage and transportation characteristics under ambient conditions. In the realm of this PhD position the techno-economic potential of an innovative process route for green hydrogen and methanol provision is going to be assessed. The process route is innovative as the needed water is adsorbed from the ambient air and this way important local ground water resources can be saved. Your tasks in detail:
- Development of a modelling structure to represent the green hydrogen – and methanol process chain within the FINE-Framework: https://github.com/FZJ-IEK3-VSA/FINE
- Evaluation of renewable electricity and heating potential in the region under assessment based on existing work in the H2 Africa project (https://africa.h2atlas.de/ecowas), including the implementation of carefully chosen extensions
- Strengthening of the process chain model to allow a detailed technical up-scaling assessment of the process chain
- Derivation of site-specific cost-potential curves for green hydrogen and green methanol for dry regions
- A completed master’s degree in the field of natural science, (industrial) engineering, or a related field of study
- Good knowledge in process engineering
- Huge interest in energy technology and economics
- Experience in energy system modeling is beneficial
- First programming skills, ideally in Python
- High degree of independence and willingness to show great commitment
- Very reliable and conscientious work style
- Fluent English and German language skills, both written and spoken
Please feel free to apply for the position even if you do not have all the required skills and knowledge. We may be able to teach you missing skills during your induction.
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- A highly motivated working group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment in one of the largest research institutions in Europe
- The opportunity to complete a doctoral thesis within three years through professional supervision and internal support services; time taken to submit the final thesis for the last 16 doctoral students at IEK-3: 2.7–3.4 years
- Excellent scientific and technical infrastructure
- Continuous professional support by your scientific supervisor(s)
- Opportunity to participate in (international) conferences and project meetings
- Best conditions for successful work in home office
- 30 days of annual leave and provision for days off between public holidays and weekends (e.g. between Christmas and New Year)
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS, the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/judocs
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
- Working for one of the best employers in Germany – 6th rank in Glassdoor employee satisfaction award: https://www.glassdoor.de/Award/Beste-Arbeitgeber-Deutschland-LST_KQ0,29.htm
The position is for a fixed term of three years. Pay is in line with 75% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60% of a monthly salary as special payment (“Christmas bonus”). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at https://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs.
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g., in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities, in which everyone can realize their potential, is important to us.
We look forward to receiving your application. The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible via our Online Recruitment System!
Questions about the vacancy?
Please feel free to contact us via our contact form. Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.