The Leibniz Institute on Aging – Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI) in Jena is a federal and state government-funded research institute and member of the Leibniz Association (Leibniz-Gemeinschaft). FLI’ s internationally visible and highly competitive research is focused on understanding the mechanisms of aging and associated age-related diseases. Scientists from over 40 countries are currently investigating the molecular mechanisms of aging and the occurrence of age-related diseases. Our aim is to create the basis for new approaches in medicine as a way to improve the health of the elderly (www.leibniz-fli.de).
The research group led by Prof. Dr. Dario Riccardo Valenzano at FLI is currently looking for a highly motivated and talented Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/x) to join their team:
Postdoc in Microbiome (m/f/x)
Research focus of the Lab: The Valenzano Lab investigates the genetic and ecological factors involved invertebrate survival and aging. We study the cross-talk between immune system and the microbiome during organismal aging. Our experimental and analytical ap-proaches include genetic mapping, comparative genomics, population genetics, cell culture, transgenesis and numerical simulations.
Tasks and Challenges:
This candidate will explore microbiome-host interactions during aging, a core research team in the Valenzano group.
This work will be integrated as part of the research focus “functional microbiome interactions in aging”, which consists of four research teams at the FLI.
The candidate is asked to adopt a multi-disciplinary approach, which involves molecular cloning, culturomics, classical microbiology, as well as high-throughput screening of microbial isolates, phage isolation and microbial metagenomics.
The candidate is expected to be scientifically independent, able to plan, discuss and communicate at high level all aspects of the project, including data analysis.
- PhD in Biology, Life Science, Biomedicine, or equivalent.
- Genuine interest in pursuing independent academic career
- Experience in microbiology, culturomics, high-throughput screening, molecular biology of aging, and/or genomics
- Excellent spoken and written English
- FELASA-equivalente certification and experience inanimal experiment planning is a plus, but not aprerequisite
- The candidate will be integrated in a world-leading research institute focused on biology of aging. The Valenzano lab is at the forefront at the study of host-microbiome interactions during vertebrate aging and has pioneered the use of the African turquoise killifish (Nothobranchius furzeri) in aging research.
Access to multiple state-of-the-art facilities. Our work is embedded in the Beutenberg Campus, an interdisciplinary base for innovative research.
- A position integrated in the FLI PostDoc Network. The Network promotes interdisciplinary collaborations involving clinician scientists, basic scientists and bioinformaticians and supports career development and postdoctoral training courses.
- The contract conditions and the salary will be according to the collective labour agreement for public service employees of the federal states of Germany (TV-L E13) for 2 years initially, with the possibility of extension.
Flexible working time, a family friendly working environment that provides a healthy work-life balance, company health management including support for child care solutions and dual career options.
We provide support with various qualification and further training opportunities, use of the Haufe knowledge databases and the Haufe learning platform with numerous different online courses.
Please apply online through the FLI application portal by 15.10.2023 and provide a cover letter, your CV, your degrees and the names and contacts of up to 4 referees.
Applications will be analyzed regarding skills, competences and qualifications. All qualified persons, regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation and identity or other classification protected by law will receive consideration for employment.