In the Department of Validation Intelligence of Autonomous Systems at Simula, we are seeking Postdoctoral researchers to work on explainable machine learning for the software certification process. The positions will last for 2 years with a possibility of extension for another year.
The positions are funded by an EU project that is developing a machine-learning-based solution for the continuous certification and recertification of software. To this end, the Postdoctoral researchers will work on explainable models for increasing the transparency of (re-)certification process, including explainable traceability support linking requirements and all relevant certification artifacts such as test case results, formal proofs, and other evidence, to build the understanding of which artifacts contribute to the need for recertification. Today there exist no tools that can provide transparent automated software re-certification with the goal to enable the user to understand the causes of non-compliance between certified software and compliance requirements. The focus of the Postdoctoral researchers will be to develop open-source tools for this purpose, therefore hands-on experience with explainable ML is needed.
Machine learning (ML), deep learning
Explainable ML, Interpretable ML
Software certification, software testing, vulnerability detection, non-compliance detection
We are looking for interested candidates who have:
- Completed (before the position starts) PhD degree in Artificial Intelligence, or Software Engineering, or Computer Science with excellent grades.
- Hands-on experience with machine learning frameworks, such as PyTorch, Keras, or TensorFlow or others.
- Solid experience with Explainable ML techniques
- Understanding and experience with software testing and certification process
- Experience with software vulnerability testing
- Excellent level of spoken and written English, good interpersonal and communication skills, curiosity and creativity, and willingness to learn and work as part of an international team.
Simula is an equal opportunity employer and women are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Excellent opportunities for performing high quality research, as part of a highly competent and motivated team of international researchers and engineers.
- An informal and inclusive international working environment.
- Generous support for travel and opportunities to build international networks, through established collaboration with industry, exchange programs and research visits with other universities, and funding to attend conferences.
- Modern office facilities located in Oslo.
- A competitive salary. Starting salary from NOK 575.400. Numerous benefits: access to company cabin, BabyBonus arrangements, sponsored social events, generous equipment budgets (e.g., computer, phone and subscription), subsidized canteen meals and monthly bus pass, comprehensive travel/health insurance policy, etc.
- Relocation assistance: accommodation, visas, complimentary Norwegian language courses, etc.
- Wellness and work-life balance. Our employees’ health and well-being is a priority and we encourage them to make use of our flexible work arrangements to help balance their work and home lives efficiently.
Interested applicants are requested to submit the following:
- Curriculum vitae: summarize your educational background, working experience (in particular, any relevant academic or industrial work), list of scientific publications, etc.
- Cover letter: outline your motivation for applying, relevant experience and qualifications, research interests and how/why you are qualified for the position.
- Contact information of two references, including the PhD supervisor(s).
1 October 2023. Applications will be continuously screened and the position will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate has been found.
Additional enquiries regarding the position can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Simula and Norway
Simula Research Laboratory AS is a publicly owned research lab located in Oslo, Norway. Simula conducts Information and Communication Technology (ICT) research in the fields of scientific computing, software engineering, communication systems, machine learning and cybersecurity.
Simula’s main objective is to create knowledge about fundamental scientific challenges that are of genuine value for society. This is achieved through high-quality research, education of graduate students, industry collaboration, technology transfer, and commercialization. Since 2001, scientific evaluations conducted by the Research Council of Norway has repeatedly placed Simula at the forefront of international research in ICT. The most recent in-depth evaluation was published in 2017, grading the full range of research at Simula as “excellent”.
Simula appreciates diversity. We currently employ approximately 200 individuals from 35 countries and strive to create a family-friendly working environment. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage women to apply.
Simula has a close collaboration with leading universities in Norway and abroad, both in terms of research and education, and facilitates extended research stays abroad. Our Master’s and PhD students conduct their research at Simula, and attend courses and receive their degrees from university partners.
Norway is famous for its outdoor scenery, with gorgeous fjords, waterfalls and mountain ranges. Moreover, Norway is a safe and peaceful country with a thriving economy, offering a high standard of living and all the benefits of a social-democratic welfare state, such as social security and universal public healthcare.
Learn more about Norway: Official travel guide to Norway
Simula Research Laboratory uses Semac´s background check in our recruitment process.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
- Research Field
- Computer science
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- Simula Research Laboratory
Caractéristiques de l'emploi