The KAAD Scholarship Program is addressed to post-graduates and to academics living in their home countries who already gained professional experience and who are interested in postgraduate studies (or research stays) in Germany.
KAAD is working with partner countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America to provide scholarship opportunities to citizens who are interested in graduate studies (or research). There are so-called Partner Committees in these countries and applications are channelled via them. Applications from other countries can be considered only in exceptional cases.
This program is administered by regional partner committees, staffed by university professors and church representatives. Normally documents are submitted to the committee of the applicant’s home country.
Who can apply?
For the scholarship programme 1 of KAAD you can apply if you:
- come from a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America and are currently living there
- have a university degree and professional experience from your home country
- want to acquire a master’s degree or a PhD at a German university or do a post-doctoral research project (2-6 months for established university lecturers) at a German university
- are a Catholic Christian (or general belong to a Christian denomination). Candidates from other religions can apply if they are proposed by Catholic partners and can prove their commitment to interreligious dialogue
- possess German language skills before starting the studies (KAAD can provide a language course of max. 6 months in Germany).
What does KAAD expect from you?
- Above-average performance in studies and research
- The orientation of your studies or research towards permanent reintegration in your home region (otherwise the scholarship is turned into a loan),
- Religious and social commitment (activities) and willingness to inter-religious dialogue.
KAAD is working with focus- and partner countries in your region. There are so-called Partner Committees in these countries and applications are channelled via them. Applications from other countries can be considered only in exceptional cases.
Method of Application
KAAD is working with partner countries in the selected regions (see above). There are Partner Committees in these countries and applications are channelled through them: Africa (sub-Sahara), Asia, Latin America, Near and Middle East (including northern Africa). Applications from other countries can be considered only in exceptional cases. Interested graduates can download the application questionnaire. It is then to be filled and sent back to af3[at]kaad.de.
It is important to read the FAQs(pdf), and also visit the official webpage (link to it is below) for complete information.
Applications for September selection need to be complete by end of June. Applications for the March-session of the selection need to be complete by end of November the previous year.
Application Deadline: 30 June / 30 November 2017
Open to International students: Yes