Wenzhou-Kean University (WKU) is a Sino-American university, located in the City of Wenzhou, China, in partnership with Kean University, USA. Kean University is a comprehensive, public national university in the state of New Jersey that is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
WKU sits on approximately 500 beautiful acres and currently enrolls 4,200 undergraduate and postgraduate students, and it is now in the midst of a rapid growth that will bring enrollment to 7,000 students within the next five years. All instruction is in English and all curriculum is provided by Kean University. In addition to its current 18 undergraduate programs, WKU has been approved by the Ministry of Education for offering 8 Master’s and 3 doctorate programs.
About the Job:
Due to rapid expansion, the Department of Educational Leadership is hiring two more qualified and experienced faculty members to teach Masters and doctorate programs in educational leadership. Apart from teaching and research, faculty is expected to advise students to develop dissertation topics and assist in all aspects of the writing process to produce high quality dissertation. In addition, candidate is expected to contribute to the growth of the programs, including, but not limited to curriculum development, program assessment, student, recruitment/advisement, office hours, and internship opportunities.
This position will be offered at the rank of tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor, or at Lecturer level. All positions will have an initial 3-year contract that is renewable.
The University will provide start-up grants to support candidates to start their research projects. After joining WKU, faculty have the opportunity to apply for a variety of internal research funding including international research collaboration grants (up to 80,000 RMB per project in the areas of education) as well as external funding opportunities at the municipal, provincial, and national levels.
- Tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor
A tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor is a full time, 10-month employee who teaches 24 credits per academic year (6-credit course release per academic year is available for grant proposal development and other substantial research initiatives). Start-up grant will be provided to launch student-engaging research programs. Candidate will be expected to participate in the full range of faculty responsibilities, including high quality teaching, research, advising; student learning support; service to the university and/or professional community. Tenure-track appointment requires high-quality publications in rigorously peer-reviewed and impactful journals in the field.
A Lecturer is a full-time, 11-month employee who teaches 39 credits per year and provides student and learning support services during the assigned period. Lecturers will be expected to provide high quality teaching, student advisement and learning support services, and service to the university and/or professional community; and perform related work as required.
- The applicant will have an earned doctorate in Educational Leadership/Administration with an emphasis in one or more of the following areas: K-12 education, higher education, educational legal issues, educational finance, or educational law. Note: Experience as a principal and/or superintendent is highly desirable but not required.
- Early career researchers with doctorate degrees obtained from reputable universities (Carnegie R1 institutions or comparable research institutions with strong academic reputation in the fields) are encouraged to apply.
- Two or more years of experience in similar position is essential.
- The successful candidate must demonstrate excellence in research and have a strong publication record. Coherent program of research and corresponding peer-reviewed publications in impactful journals are required.
- Ability to effectively teach introductory and advanced graduate courses.
- Strong commitment to mentoring students.
- High English proficiency is required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion among faculty, staff, and students.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled. Please send cover letter, resume, statement of teaching philosophy, research statement describing research interest, past accomplishments in research and research plan (for tenure track positions only), unofficial transcripts and contact information of three professional references by email to Search Committee Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org . Official transcripts for all degrees and three current letters of recommendation are required before appointment.
Faculty positions at WKU offer:
- Annual salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience with the range from $68,000-$72,000 for lecturers; $70,000-$77,000 for Assistant Professors; $75,000-$85,000 for Associate Professors.
- Up to 8% front-load retirement benefits within accordance with completion of years of service with the University (additional 4% for the 2nd year, 6% for the 3rd year, and 8% for 4th year and later).
- Income tax exemption depicted by tax treaty between China and some countries (for example, the Unites States).
- A well-rounded healthcare coverage, academic travel up to $2,000, housing options and subsidy up to $3,000, home traveling up to $6,000 (2 international round-trip airfares), a reimbursement to cover relocation expenses up to $1,000, shuttle bus to campus for work.
- WKU tuition waiver up to 80% for spouse/dependent children of faculty for undergraduate programs. And tuition discount of local private/international kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools for children of faculty.
- The opportunity to teach high quality students with more than a third of graduates being admitted to the graduate schools at the World’s Top 50 Universities, and about 60% of graduates at the World’s Top 100 Universities.
Wenzhou-Kean University conducts background screenings on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background Screenings.
|Job Category||Teaching and scientific research|