1 – Working at the VUB
Freedom, equality and solidarity have been central to the Vrije Universiteit Brussel for over more than 50 years. These values are also very much alive on our campuses, among students and staff alike. Here you will find a colourful mix of personalities who all have one thing in common: they are innovators pur sang who are 100% their authentic selves. With some 4.000 employees spread over 4 campuses, we are the largest Dutch-speaking employer in Brussels, the vibrating international capital of the European Union.
The VUB is a humanist university. Teaching and research at the VUB are grounded in the principles of free inquiry with an eye to humanistic values. We consider each person to be free, equal, and connected. Free to form an opinion based on free research, without regard to arguments based purely on authority. Equal in the sense that no one is more or less than another, regardless of social or ethnic origin. And connected because we all live together, face the same challenges, and want to be treated with respect.
The VUB is autonomous and managed democratically. As such, we guarantee fundamental freedoms within our university, as well as the right of the university community to be involved in making and checking university policy.
2 – Position description
The Faculty of Engineering, Department Engineering Technology, is looking for a PhD-student with a doctoral grant.
More concretely your work package, for the preparation of a doctorate, contains:
- You will perform PhD-research in the following domains of the research group ELO-ICT:
- Design and implementation of low-power electronics;
- Sensor systems for environmental monitoring;
- Embedded AI;
- IoT systems.
- The research topic will be chosen with respect to your interest and background.
- You will assist in the organization and guidance of some educational tasks (guidance of thesis’s, labs and exercise sessions) of the department of Engineering Technology (INDI) in the area of electronics and informatics for the Bachelor and Master programs in engineering technology.
For this function, our Brussels Humanities, Sciences & Engineering Campus (Elsene) will serve as your home base.
3 – Profile
What do we expect from you?
You hold a Master’s degree in Science, engineering technology or Engineering with a specification related to Electronics and informatics.
- You have excellent pedagogical skills and excellent research capacities.
- Mastering the Dutch or English language is a must. If you are not competent in Dutch, you must be prepared to improve your Dutch language proficiency to the B2 level.
- A high interest in electronic hardware design and embedded systems is recommended.
- You have not performed any works in the execution of a mandate as an assistant, paid from operating resources, over a total (cumulated) period of more than 12 months.
4 – Offer
Are you going to be our new colleague?
You’ll be offered a full-time PhD-scholarship, for 12 months (extendable up to max. 48 months, on condition of the positive evaluation of the PhD activities), with planned starting date 01/10/2023.
You’ll receive a grant linked to one of the scales set by the government.
IMPORTANT: The effective result of the doctorate scholarship is subject to the condition precedent of your enrolment as a doctorate student at the university.
At the VUB, you’re guaranteed an open, involved and diverse workplace where you are offered opportunities to (further) build on your career.
As well as this, you’ll enjoy various benefits:
- Full reimbursement for your home-work commute with public transport according to VUB-policy, or compensation if you come by bike;
- Cost-free hospitalisation insurance;
- The space to form your job content and continuously learn via VUB LRN;
- Excellent facilities for sport and exercise;
- Delicious meals at attractive prices in our campus restaurants;
- An open, family-friendly work environment where attention is paid to work-life balance, and exceptional holiday arrangements with 35 days of leave (based on a fulltime contract).
5 – Interested?
Is this the job you’ve been dreaming of?
Send us ONLINE and at the latest on 31/08/2023 your CV, letter of motivation and the highest degree you’ve attained (not applicable for VUB alumni).
Do you have questions about the job content? Contact Prof. dr. ir. Abdellah Touhafi at email@example.com or on +32 488 03 43 92.
Would you like to know what it’s like to work at the VUB? Go to www.vub.ac.be/vacatures and find all there is to know about our campuses, benefits, strategic goals and your future colleagues.