UiB – Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Biomedicine, a full-time (100 %) position as postdoctoral research fellow is available for a period of three (3) years.
The position is part of the project “NeuroConvergence”, funded by the Research Council of Norway.
The recruitment period can be extended in case there is a planned research stay abroad which is financed by the Research Council of Norway.
About the project/work tasks:
- The working environment for this position will be at the Department of Biomedicine. In the NeuroConvergence project, we combine large-scale genetic and functional genomic datasets and chemical libraries to identify novel druggable target proteins for neuropsychiatric disorders.
- We are using innovative experimental and computational tools to study and test new drug candidates on ion channels, receptors, enzymes and regulatory proteins in the central nervous system. We are expressing target proteins and testing the effects of drug candidates on isolated proteins, in cell culture and in animal (mouse) models.
- The position will benefit from a tight collaboration between clinical, experimental, and computational researchers in the project, both locally and internationally (Germany, USA), with expertise in genomics, computational biology, machine learning, structural biology, pharmacology medicinal chemistry and clinical psychiatry, with ample opportunities for travel, training, and career development across multiple disciplines.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within degree in biomedical sciences, cell biology, physiology, protein chemistry or basic pharmacology, or have the doctoral thesis submitted prior to the application deadline. We are looking for candidates with a background either from academia or industry.It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded at the latest within 5 months after the closing date for applications.
- Experience from relevant research projects will be considered as positive. We have exciting ongoing projects, but there may also be an opportunity to continue ongoing relevant projects.
- The candidate should be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others
- The applicant must be fluent in oral and written English
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. You cannot be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution.
The employee may be assigned required duties in the form of teaching and similar work at the department.
See regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow etc
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment. Our campus is located on the west coast of Norway, close to nature, with excellent opportunities to combine work and outdoor experiences.
- Salary NOK 573 900 (code 1352, pay grade 62) in the state salary scale. For applicants with a degree in Medicine or Dentistry, salary NOK 584 700 (code 1352/pay grade 63). For applicants with a medical specialization, salary NOK 615 000 (code 1352, pay grade 66).
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- Transcripts and diplomas (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose witnessed diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations) and documentation of submitted doctoral thesis
- Complete list of publications
- Publications (in PDF) it is important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety
- Two references (name and contact information)
For further information please contact Jan Haavik, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org phone: +47 55 58 64 32
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible.
People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
About The University of Bergen (UiB)
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are five departments and seven centres at Faculty of Medicine.