Department of People and Technology, Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as post doc in Data Science and GIS from September 1st, 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Department of People and Technology is the largest department at RUC, and covers a range of subject areas, broadly focused on human – society – technology interactions and covering e.g. sustainable transition, social entrepreneurship, urban planning, mobility and regional development, psychology and learning, sustainable digitalization, work and health studies, computer science etc.
The position is linked to the research group Mobility, Space and Urban Studies and the candidate must relate his or her own research to the research of this group. MOSPUS develops theoretically and empirically informed critical research on the themes of mobility, regional development and urban studies. The group brings together researchers from a variety of disciplines that include geography, sociology, planning and architecture. Our work is guided by a strong commitment to social justice and to making more sustainable and democratic futures. We do research in the following areas:
- Cities and planning: Urban planning, sustainability, participatory design, and empowerment
- Mobilities: Sustainable transport, everyday mobilities and practices
- Spatial Data Science: Big spatial data and data data analysis
- Regional development: Migration- and settlement patterns, regional spatial change and tourism studies
- Materialities and design: Architecture, material culture, mobile technologies.
We are looking for a candidate with qualifications within the following scientific areas:
- Spatial data science (GIS) and the use of geo-databases, large data volumes and heterogenous data.
- Understanding of and experience working with the Danish Basic Data program (grunddataprogram).
- Experience in Python programming or other similar high-level language
- Professional language proficiency in Danish and at least a limited proficiency in Swedish will be an advantage.
We encourage candidates from interdisciplinary research environments possessing the ability to collaborate with researchers from multiple fields of research to apply for this position.
The candidate will contribute to teaching and supervision in one or two of the department’s education programs:
- Humanistic-Technological Bachelor (BSc) https://ruc.dk/bachelor/humanistiskteknologisk-bachelor
- Cities and Planning (MA) By og Plan | Roskilde Universitet (ruc.dk)
Responsibilities and tasks
The post doc’s work will primarily include research (including publication/academic dissemination work) in relation to the Interreg (ØKS) project InnoTech-taskforce (see https://interreg-oks.eu/da/larkannaoss/projektbanken/projekt/innotechtaskforce.1413.html) and more specifically to the development of a data model based on the Danish grunddataprogram and including also a municipality in Skåne, Sweden. Research-based teaching with associated examination obligations will also be included in the position, accumulating to 30% of the employment. In addition to research and research-based teaching, the position also requires share of knowledge with the rest of society. Applicants are referred to the university’s Faculty expectations for specifications on the required level of qualifications within research, teaching, networking, fundraising, impact and outreach etc.
The ideal candidate for this position is expected to:
- Perform research and publish in leading international, peer-reviewed journals, possibly supplemented with research monographs with high-ranking academic publishers
- Contribute to the development of the research profile of the Department and in the MOSPUS research group centered on the Interreg (ØKS) project InnoTech-taskforce.
- Contribute to develop research networks nationally and internationally, including industry, civil and public sector partners.
- Contribute to the Departments profile in GIS and data science
- Contribute to teaching selected programs
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at the Department
The applicant must participate actively in the activities organized by the research group and may contribute to the development of problem-oriented and interdisciplinary research projects with colleagues as well as external partners.
Applicants must hold a PhD degree and a relevant academic profile.
The applicant is expected to possess initiative and good cooperative skills, be visible and actively contributing to organizing the daily activities in the MOSPUS research group and the connected teaching programs. Both professional and social competencies will be prioritized in the efforts to create an inspiring daily working environment.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to the following points. The individual applicant is not expected to fulfill all dimensions of the assessment criteria.
- relevance of research expertise for the research groups focus areas,
- scientific production and research potential at an international level,
- the ability to create, promote and utilize research results,
- experience in teaching
- Research collaboration with external partners such as public authorities, private companies, NGO’s etc.
- networks, experience from research environments and collaborative abilities
For further information about the position, please contact the Dean, Andreas de Neergaard tel. +45 24434331 / email@example.com; or PI Thomas Theis Nielsen: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time, 37 hours per week and you will refer to the Dean, Andreas de Neergaard.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
After the deadline for applications the Dean will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment.
The shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and – later on – their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- A description of own research network and collaboration experiences (~1 page)
- Documentation of education
- Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
- A complete list of publications
- A maximum of 5 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment. If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
Please submit your application no later than 5 June 2023.
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.