Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa’s around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living. Empa is a research institution of the ETH Domain.
The Urban Energy Systems Laboratory researches innovative building and decentralised energy system technologies. Our work focuses on achieving the energy transition where more energy is generated from clean, sustainable sources and energy efficiency is improved. The planning of energy resources requires a clear and comprehensive understanding of supply and demand, and we believe that a digital transformation strategy is critical to achieving this goal.
You will join projects on developing digital twins for energy simulation in collaboration with academic and industry partners. The projects use measured data from demonstrators, living labs and open data. Example projects you will be actively involved is Digicities and CoSi. The projects rely on close interaction and cooperation with sector stakeholders, technology providers and industry partners.
You will execute your research ideas in close collaboration with our team and external scientific and industry partners. You will support the dissemination of research findings across the knowledge community, which includes collaborating with other lab members and publishing in scientific journals and conferences.
Scientist or postdoc researcher in linked data for energy simulation (a)
- Research and develop linked data technologies such as ontologies that accurately represent these systems
- Actively collaborate with project stakeholders and lab members
- Support the implementation of data platforms to exchange data
- Lead contributions to peer-reviewed and conference publications
- Stay updated with the latest developments in the field of linked data research
You are a highly motivated candidate with previous experience or interest in modelling energy at spatial scales from the building to the district and city scale. You are a problem-solver with demonstrable experience in developing and applying innovative ideas. You enjoy discussing ideas with colleagues and collaborators from different backgrounds and thrive in a challenging and interdisciplinary environment.
- A PhD in a relevant discipline such as engineering/computing/mathematics/urban planning
- Proficiency in RDF, SPARQL, and related technologies. Understanding of the principles of Linked Open Data and Semantic Web standards
- Knowledge of ontology languages like OWL and RDFS, and skills in designing, building and maintaining ontologies. Familiarity with tools such as Protégé
- Strong interpersonal skills, including active listening, clear and concise communication, and the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Academic track record. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate complex concepts and findings in writing
- Ability to effectively present research findings and complex technical concepts to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages (such as Python)
- Interest in developing or proficiency in GIS skills
- Familiarity with ETL processes, and data management platforms
- Experience in stakeholder engagement and project management
We offer a stimulating, international and collaborative research environment at a leading research institution with an excellent infrastructure and a broad interdisciplinary surrounding. As an institution of the ETH Domain, we offer good employment conditions and plenty of opportunities for your professional development. You start with a one year contract with possibility of extension. The workplace is in Dübendorf, very close to Zürich.
«a» stands for «all» in our job advertisements. We live a culture of inclusion and respect. We welcome all people who are interested in innovative, sustainable and meaningful activities. That’s what counts – not age, gender, origin, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
We look forward to receiving your complete online application including a letter of motivation, CV, certificates, diplomas and contact details of two reference persons. Please submit these exclusively via our job portal. Applications by e-mail and by post will not be considered.