The Environmental Microbiology group is inviting applications for 2 PhD positions. The group is led by Prof. Marie Schoelmerich and is located in the Department of Environmental Systems Sciences at ETH Zürich. The Environmental Microbiology group is dedicated to illuminating the fascinating world of anaerobic microbiology from the global scale to the microscale. We focus on microorganisms that use an ancient pathway to capture and convert the greenhouse gases carbon dioxide and methane. Through a combination of metagenomics, classic microbiology, and biochemistry, we aim to decipher the influence of anaerobic microorganisms on biogeochemical cycles and seek to identify the molecular elements and mechanisms driving these processes. The long-term goal of our research is to illuminate fundamental mechanisms and principles of environmental processes and inspire sustainable technologies. The positions are full-time positions (100%). The expected start date is autumn 2023 or on mutual agreement.
The two successful PhD candidates will have a chance to contribute to and lead fieldwork, laboratory & computational research in the field of anaerobic microbiology. The candidates will Illuminate microbial communities in anoxic environments through metagenomics and discover and investigate microorganisms and elements that shape the cycling of the greenhouse gases carbon dioxide and methane as well as investigate the physiology, metabolism and ,biochemistry of anaerobic bacteria and archaea through cultivation and molecular biology approaches
We are looking for enthusiastic and curiosity-driven PhD applicants who bring several of the following interests, skills, and expertise:
- M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences, Microbiology, Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics or a related discipline
- Skills in microbiological and molecular biology techniques
- Prior experience with handling anaerobic microorganisms is desirable
- Excellent interpersonal communication and teamwork skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Opportunities to engage in cutting-edge research with the potential for high impact in the field of environmental microbiology
- Encouraging and collaborative research environment
- Cutting-edge computational infrastructure
- Support for career goals through conference travel and workshops
- Exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits
- Family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions
We value diversity
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Cover letter
- CV including publication list
- Contact details of two references
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about the Environmental Microbiology Group in the Department of Environmental Systems Sciences can be found on our website. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Marie Schoelmerich [email@example.com] (no applications).
About ETH Zürich
Caractéristiques de l'emploi