Language: English (UK)
Organisation data: Interdisciplinary Centre of Security, Reliability and Trust
Job Number: UOL05496
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
Duration: 36 Month
Schedule Type: Full Time
Work Hours: 40.0 Hours per Week
Expected Start Date: 01/05/2023
Functions: PhD Candidates
Job (internal): Doctoral Researcher
About the SnT
SnT is a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through research partnerships with industry, boosting R&D investments leading to economic growth, and attracting highly qualified talent.
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
The successful candidate will join the CryptoLux group led by Prof. Alex Biryukov. He or she will contribute to a research project entitled “Advanced Cryptography for Finance and Privacy (CryptoFin)”,
which is funded by the Luxembourgish Fonds National de la Recherche (FNR) through the CORE program. Candidates with research interests in one or more of the following areas are particularly encouraged to apply:
- Applied or symmetric cryptography
- Cryptofinance, cryptoeconomics, blockchains
- Anonymity and privacy on the Internet
The main responsibility of the successful candidates will be to conduct, publish and present research in the rapidly growing areas of applied cryptography, cryptofinance and/or privacy-enhancing technologies.
- M.Sc. degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or a related field
- GPA of at least 80% in both the bachelor and master studies
- Strong mathematical and/or algorithmic CS background (competitions, Olympiads, CTFs a plus)
- Background in applied cryptography, or information security, or economics/finance – a plus
- Good skills in programming, scripting languages. Math tools – a plus
- Commitment, team working and a critical mind
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English
Here’s what awaits you at SnT
- A stimulating learning environment. Here post-docs and professors outnumber PhD students. That translates into access and close collaborations with some of the brightest ICT researchers, giving you solid guidance
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 55 industry partners
- Multiple funding sources for your ideas. The University supports researchers to acquire funding from national, European and private sources
- Competitive salary package. The University offers a 12 month-salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, meal vouchers and health insurance
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
- Boost your career. Students can take advantage of several opportunities for growth and career development, from free language classes to career resources and extracurricular activities
But wait, there’s more!
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month (extendable up to 48 months if required)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Employee and student status
- Job Reference: UOL05496
The yearly gross salary for every PhD at the UL is EUR 39953 (full time)
How to apply
Applications should be submitted in English and include:
- A very brief cover letter explaining the candidate’s motivation and research interests
- Curriculum Vitae (including photo, education/research, work experience, interests)
- Transcripts of B.Sc. and M.Sc. grades
- Information about contributions to open-source projects, participation in research competitions, Olympiads, CTFs, etc. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide. Apply here https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?ID=PA0FK026203F3VBQB7V7VV46C&nPostingTargetId=125465&nPostingId=80656