There is one Ahmad Mustafa Abu-Hakima Bursary, valued at £2,900 in total. The Ahmad Mustafa Abu-Hakima Bursary is intended to off-set part of the cost of tuition fees or assist with living expenses. The award is for one year only.
The bursary is for students undertaking full-time postgraduate degrees involving the study of the modern history of the Arab world. Eligible programmes are:
- MA History
- MA History and Intensive Language
- MA Historical Research Methods
- MA Historical Research Methods and Intensive Language (New admissions only)
- MA Near and Middle Eastern Studies
- MA Near and Middle Eastern Studies and Intensive Language (New admissions only)
- MSc Middle East Politics
- MA Gender Studies
- MA Media and the Middle East
- MA Israeli Studies
- MA Palestine Studies
- MA Palestine Studies and Intensive Language (New admissions only)
History modules offered as majors or minors in these programmes which deal with the modern Arab World are:
- Modernity and the Transformation of the Middle East I and II;
- Israel, the Arab World and the Palestinians
- Critical Perspectives on Palestine Studies I and II
- Applicants must possess a good honours degree from a UK university or an equivalent institution recognised by SOAS.
- In order to be eligible for this scholarship, you must have provided evidence in the scholarship statement on how your full-time taught Masters programme involves the history of the modern Arab world. Applicants are strongly advised to identify relevant modules offered as majors or minors as part of their programme of choice. Failure to provide such evidence will disqualify the application.
- Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue a full-time masters programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2018. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Open to UK/EU and Overseas applicants
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 17:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2018.
- You must also submit a complete online application to your programme. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2018). Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Number of applications normally received
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified by end-June. If you have not heard from us by end-June, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
- STEP 1: Apply for your programme
You must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to pursue a full-time masters programme at SOAS by the scholarship application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your on-line application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of the year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the scholarship deadline (that is, by 9 January 2018).
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 17:00 (UK local time) on 20 February 2018.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form which will open HERE on 23 January 2018.
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships department:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091