Deeply rooted in Montreal and dedicated to its international mission, Université de Montréal is one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers. Like the city whose name it bears, it is effervescent and multicultural.
UdeM attracts over $500 million in research funding every year, making it one of the top three university research hubs in Canada. It also ranks among the top 100 universities wor1dwide and among the five best French language universities.
Through the achievements of the members of its community, UdeM participates in building today’s and tomorrow’s world.
The Department of Geography invites applications for a full-time position in human geography at the level of Assistant Professor. We are interested in candidates whose research examines the interface of social and environmental dynamics. The selected person will enrich our teaching program in environment and will strengthen our main research themes or develop new ones, including (but not exclusive to) landuse planning, environmental impact assessment, the production of physical and social environments, socio-ecological systems, climate change adaptation, or environmental racism.
The appointed candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses, supervise graduate students, be active in research, publishing, and the transmission of knowledge, and contribute to the activities of the University.
Depending on their areas of expertise, and if they wish, the file of the person appointed to this position could be submitted for affiliation with IVADO. These positions offer enhanced start-up conditions. Incumbents will participate in an ambitious scheme (IAE3) to develop and adopt robust, reasoning, and responsible artificial intelligence for which IVADO has just been appointed and Apogée grant.
- PhD in geography or a related discipline. Candidates completing their dissertations will also be considered;
- Strong research record;
- Demonstrated ability to provide high quality university teaching;
- An adequate knowledge of written and spoken French or a strong commitment to acquiring the required level of proficiency, in accordance to the Université de Montréal’s Language Policy;
- An institutional learning support program is offered to all professors wishing to learn French or improve their communication skills.
How to submit your application
The application file sent to the Department Chair should contain the following documents:
- A cover letter (maximum two pages);
- Application must include in the cover letter one of the following statements: “I am a citizen/ permanent resident of Canada.” or “I am not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.”
- Your curriculum vitæ;
- Sample of publications or research papers if not publicly available;
- Statement on teaching philosophy (maximum one page);
- Presentation of your research program (maximum two pages);
- Names, institutional affiliations and contact information (including email addresses) for three academic referees who will be contacted at a later time if selected for an interview.
Application file and letters of recommendation must be sent by email before November 3, 2023 to:
We strongly recommend that you complete the self-identification form questionnaire d’auto-identification. You will find more information about it in the section Equity, Diversity and Inclusion at the end of this document.
Additional information about the position
Reference number – FAS 09-23 / 24
Application deadline – Until November 3, 2023 inclusively
Salary – Université de Montréal offers competitive salaries and a full range of benefits
Starting date – As of June 1, 2024
Caractéristiques de l'emploi
|Catégorie emploi||Enseignement et recherche scientifique|